Leaving a Legacy



Proverbs 1:8 (KJV) My son, hear the instruction of thy father, and forsake not the law of thy mother:


What is your legacy? I used this as a writing exercise back in 2005, and recently came upon it in my computer files. Writing mostly about my daughters and how I hoped they would remember me after I am gone, I enumerated the things I loved about my life, this earth, and my time here. My main focus, however, was on the hopes and dreams I had for their lives.

When my daughters were small, I wanted them to love God, go to college, get high-paying jobs and marry well. Now that they’re both grown and independent, (well, relatively so!), I have changed my outlook. If they are happy and healthy, I won’t quibble about how much they make or whether they married a millionaire.

I realize now that the most important feeling in this world is fulfillment, as in doing what is God’s will for your life. Many activities may provide this feeling, like parenthood, working at a career or cause you are passionate about, or volunteering.

Since my cancer diagnoses in 1987 and again this year, I have tapped an inner strength that I didn’t know was there before. The Hubster said he saw it come out when he was diagnosed with cancer in 2008. I fought for the best doctors and care for my husband, and was willing to be vocal when we didn’t get the answers we wanted. Perhaps that was when I knew that my strength came from God, not within myself. See? Good things can come from bad situations.

I think I will update my legacy again. This time, I will leave my girls with some marching orders:

  1. Live passionately.
  2. Love audaciously.
  3. Let God lead.
  4. Leave a legacy.

Give it some thought. What is the legacy you will leave behind? Will the words be for your family, friends, co-workers? Tell them what you believe to be true and what you want them to remember. You are significant. Your life matters.

***

Female in Motion Exercise Update: I did physical therapy every day last week and walked 25 minutes on the treadmill on four days. I am down to 191 pounds, and am feeling much less sore this week. I got crazy and wore an underwire bra to church on Sunday!

***

Notable Quote:

"Do all the good you can, by all the means you can, in all the ways you can, in all the places you can, at all the times you can, to all the people you can, as long as ever you can."--Charles Wesley

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Your Neighbor

Summer of Simplicity: Lift Someone Up

Bravely Onward