Count It All Joy


 While running errands today, I stopped to talk to an acquaintance. She heard I had breast cancer, and wanted to tell me I was in her prayers. We spoke for a few moments, and when we parted, she remarked, "I love how positive you are!"

Then there are the others--you know them. The folks who say, "What are you doing out?" They have these pained expressions and say, "How are you...really?" Like I'm going to burst into flames at any moment.

I made a decision to find a little spot of joy in every day.

Something to make me smile.

The Hubster and I laugh a lot. Cancer can be a humbling experience; there are lots of awkward situations involved. You have to have a sharp sense of humor. People with cancer don't lay in bed all day, eating bonbons and watching TV. We go to work, grocery shop, go out to eat and even clean our toilets.

Our church held a revival last week. The evangelist, Dr. Fred Johnson, of Calvary Boys Ranch in Eufaula, OK, was a solid, plain-spoken preacher. Revivals, for those who are not of the Baptist persuasion, are special meetings featuring an invited preacher who gives messages meant to stir up the hearts and souls of church members. It's important to refocus your eyes on the Savior and make time for Him in your life.

Everyone needs a little revival now and then. You don't have to go to a meeting, though. Revival in your heart is a conscious decision. Choose joy. When life is driving you batty and you can't think for the chaos, start a revival. Sing a praise song at the top of your lungs. Make the neighbors wonder about your sanity. And when people ask why you aren't sad, tell them you just got revived!

(Pictured above is Revival, an a capella gospel singing group with crazy good harmony, performing at the 2012 Walnut Valley Bluegrass Festival in Winfield, KS.)

***

Female in Motion Exercise Update: I walked on the treadmill four days last week, 30 minutes each time. That's a little over a mile each time. I'm working on increasing the speed, a little more each week. Still doing PT every day. My flexibility is increasing a bit more every day. I'm at about 90 percent.

***

Notable Quote:

Psalm 138:7 (KJV) Though I walk in the midst of trouble, thou wilt revive me: thou shalt stretch forth thine hand against the wrath of mine enemies, and thy right hand shall save me.




Comments

Ginny Marie said…
Love it! Yes, cancer patients still need to go buy milk! ;)
Life goes on, doesn't it?

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Your Neighbor

Summer of Simplicity: Lift Someone Up

Bravely Onward