Redeeming the Time

Ryan Scott Prudhomme, 1986-2013
Colossians 4:5-6 (NKJV) Walk in wisdom toward those who are outside, redeeming the time. Let your speech always be with grace, seasoned with salt, that you may know how you ought to answer each one. 


"Redeeming the time." This phrase has been bouncing around in my brain all day. The years we are allotted in this world are brief and swift-moving. It's easy to get caught up in the dizzying array of time wasters available. It's equally easy to forget the most vital things: faith, family, others. Selfishly, I want my life to count. I desire significance.

I am a member of the new group, Kansas Women Bloggers (http://kansaswomenbloggers.com/). The theme for April is "Making the World a Better Place to Be and Blog." This made me think about what I'm trying to do with my own blog and ministry. I want to encourage women to live out their big dreams, the ones that God has placed in their hearts. The ones they are afraid to speak out loud.

And I'm not just talking about it. I'm paying (and praying) it forward. The young woman with the passion for blogging, the two brave breast cancer warriors, the student with the gift of music, and the new Christian with a servant's heart are the dreamers I am partnering with to seek God's will for their lives. I don't have all the answers, but I am willing to spend the time in prayer and study. It is my privilege to mentor these talented women.

One of my heroes of the faith went to be with Jesus this morning. The Hubster and I met Ryan Prudhomme in a Cancer Treatment Centers of America limo on the way to the airport. His wide grin and youthful vigor disarmed me. We exchanged cancer stories and he shared his passion for Christ and people. A real live cowboy, Ryan spent his time, when he was not receiving cancer treatment for liver/bile duct cancer, running a youth camp and speaking to groups about reaching the lost with love.

Since that meeting, The Hubster and I have become more intentional about sharing our faith, mentoring and moving forward in our respective ministries. Thank you, Ryan, for making a difference in the lives of so many you didn't even realize you touched. Your spirit will continue to inhabit those folks, as well as Kendra, your beautiful wife and best friend, and Colton, your beloved son. Rest now, brave warrior, and well done, thou good and faithful servant.


***

Female in Motion Health Update: I was all ready to start my final week of radiation treatments this morning, but when I got there the techs said the blisters under my arm looked pretty bad, so I saw the doctor. I am allergic to the cream they usually prescribe, so he recommended "air" and bedrest. That means I am at home, in bed, curtains drawn, with my shirt and bra off...and the heat cranked up. Please keep me in your prayers!

***

Notable Quote:


"Discovering God’s will leads us to release and risk…releasing the familiar and risking whatever the future may bring."—Chuck Swindoll

Comments

Ginny Marie said…
I'm praying for you, and for the Prudhomme family. He was too young for cancer to take him away from his family...it sounds like he was a wonderful blessing to all who knew him here on Earth.
God bless you, Ginny Marie! Ryan was a fine young man.
Carol, I'm so glad to see that you are, indeed, making the most of your time. When you are grieving and very uncomfortable, you've managed to reach out and touch others with your words. You are a trooper! Keep up the good work and feel better.
Thanks for your kind words, Nancy! I believe God put me on this earth to encourage women and a little case of breast cancer isn't going to slow me down...much. Blessings!
Me said…
Great post Hon, Ryan is a terrific young man who is now in the presence of the Lord. I pray for his family and those who will deeply feel his loss. We will see him again, happy and healthy.
We will pray for you and the Prudhomme family. He sounded like a wonderful man, husband and father. I am sorry for your loss.
Unknown said…
Thank you for sharing your wisdom and encouraging words. Your posts always make me think.
Thanks so much for the comments, Me (The Hubster), Mayor and Barb Diana! Ryan was a great kid who loved life, God and his family. He had it right at 27. Pretty good stuff. We can all learn from him. God bless you!
Unknown said…
Thanks so much for sharing. My Father In Law has stage 4 lung cancer and recently treatment was discontinued. My father had cancer for over 20 years and endured treatment the whole time. He died last summer of a completely unrelated issue. I am so glad that you are positive and reaching out to others. Staying emotionally and mentally positive is so important!
So true, Amy Fennell! Attitude is everything when you have a life-threatening illness. The Hubster and I make a decision every morning to choose joy and keep living our lives for Christ. I am so sorry for your father-in-law's change in status and will pray for him and your family daily. God bless you!
OneMommy said…
Saying a prayer that your blisters heal quickly.
Thanks for your prayers, One Mommy! My blisters are healing. It is a slow process, but today is my last radiation dose. Let the healing begin!

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Your Neighbor

Summer of Simplicity: Lift Someone Up

Bravely Onward