Building a Christian Posse

Last week, I took a little detour. I had planned to finish a three-part series on intimacy, but my body had other ideas, so I rested instead. Fatigue from chemotherapy affects your mind and creativity, as well as your muscles. This week, I'm "back on track."

Week 1: (January 21, 2013), I blogged about the intimacy of prayer.
Week 2: (January 28, 2013), Intimacy with Christ is what I talked about.

 Hebrews 10:25 (KJV) Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.

Today, I want to discuss how to build intimacy with other believers. The above scripture talks about getting together with other Christians, in order to exhort, or encourage, one another. That's one of the biggest objectives of a church: To encourage each other and to worship and glorify God. We are accountable, individually and as a group.

Please note, that doesn't mean that we all agree all the time, on every subject. In fact, the Bible says that, "Iron sharpeneth iron," meaning that as we debate important issues, we hone each other to a fine point. The Hubster and I have regular lively conversations regarding current events and how they relate to Scripture. This is healthy, both for our relationship, and our spiritual maturity. Be able to define and defend what you believe.

I have a group of women, my girlie prayer posse, that I look up to, love and respect. These chicks know me, inside and out. We pray, talk, eat, giggle, and talk some more. They keep me centered and sane. I owe them big time for how they are encouraging me through this season of cancer. Thank you, Mom, Deanne, Jacque, Dionne, Danice and Darci.

If you want to stay strong in all the seasons of life, build up a group of people who will be there, rainstorm or sunny day. The best way to develop intimacy with Christian friends, is a scary thing. You have to make yourself vulnerable. Others will either respond positively, or take advantage of you.

That's the thing about intimacy. It's a dangerous thing, but immensely rewarding. Prayer is intimate. So is communing with Christ and other believers. That's where the power is. That's where you want to be.

***

Female in Motion Health Update: I have an appointment in Winfield on Thursday with the Cancer Center. They will set up my radiation schedule then and I will get my "tattoos." I am feeling much more Carol-like this week, so far. Thanks to all of you for your fervent prayers!

***

Notable Quote:

"Christians are like the several flowers in a garden that have each of them the dew of Heaven, which, being shaken with the wind, they let fall at each other's roots, whereby they are jointly nourished, and become nourishers of each other."--John Bunyan

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Your Neighbor

Summer of Simplicity: Lift Someone Up

Bravely Onward