God or Glory?

Deuteronomy 7:6 (KJV) For thou art an holy people unto the Lord thy God: the Lord thy God hath chosen thee to be a special people unto himself, above all people that are upon the face of the earth.

As a young newlywed, I gave my husband a full account of all my daily activities when he arrived home. The Hubster called it my "status report." Somehow, I got it into my head that he would value me more as a wife if I did tons of chores.

I realized a while back that I was doing this same thing with God. At the end of the day, I prayed my status report, telling Him about all the great things I did. Would He love me more if He heard all the good works I was doing? Sooooooooooooo wrong! My Gracious Redeemer already knew what I did all day, and He already loved and accepted me as His child.

Have you ever done that with spiritual things? If you're running around the church organizing bake sales, directing the children's choir, leading the sewing circle, and disinfecting the baptistry, slow down! Say no once in a while. Worship and church work should leave you feeling refreshed and energized, not exhausted and anxious.

What is a woman worth? I don't produce my worth, I receive it from God. I can't earn or work for value. It's a gift. There's not enough carpet in the world to vacuum that would earn me a spot on Heaven. So let's get real. What's my motivation? Is it for God, or glory?

Ephesians 2:8-9 tells us that our salvation is a gift from our Savior, and that we cannot earn it by doing good works. Don't take that the wrong way...good works are great, as long as you do them to glorify God and show Him your gratitude for all He has given.

God can do a whole lot more when we do less. The less we control, the more our Savior can easily manage. No matter how well you do things, He can do better. It's time to give it up. Let go and let God, as my old pastor used to say.

***

Health Update: I am at Cancer Treatment Centers of America in Zion, IL, this week for post-surgical checkups. If all goes well, I will begin my chemotherapy treatment on Wednesday. I am ready for this, but know it won't be easy. I've never backed down from a challenge. Thank you for your prayers and encouragement during this phase of my cancer journey.

***

Female in Motion Exercise Update: I did four 30-minute treadmill workouts last week. Instead of increasing time this week, I upped the pace. It's important for my health to continue daily exercise and increase my endurance. I've reached a plateau in my weight loss, so I'm hoping the increased pace will kick the fat burning into gear.

***

Notable Quote:

"Being a Christian is more than just an instantaneous conversion--it is a daily process whereby you grow to be more and more like Christ."--Billy Graham




Comments

Ginny Marie said…
I've been thinking about you this week, as I'm sure many people have been! I hope your first chemo treatment went well!
I'm feeling really good! Thanks for the positive thoughts, Ginny Marie!

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Your Neighbor

Summer of Simplicity: Lift Someone Up

Bravely Onward