Milk vs. Meat


Hebrews 5:12-14 (KJV)
12 For when for the time ye ought to be teachers, ye have need that one teach you again which be the first principles of the oracles of God; and are become such as have need of milk, and not of strong meat.
13 For every one that useth milk is unskilful in the word of righteousness: for he is a babe.
14 But strong meat belongeth to them that are of full age, even those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil.


Is this scripture about food? Nope. It's talking about the Bible. I believe this says that new Christians should learn the basics of the faith, i.e., the Gospel. After the foundation is set, then we can chew on the tough issues that face us today, using the Word of God to guide us.

My niece is pregnant with her first child. She's so excited and can't wait to see her new son. As much as she wants to take care of her baby, she doesn't want him to stay an infant forever. He will grow beyond the nutrition that milk can provide and will need solid food to develop into a strong adult.

I am a Kansas girl, born and bred. My favorite meal is a steak and baked potato. On special occasions, I will dine with family and we will savor every bite. We go in the restaurant with empty bellies and leave fully satisfied.

For eight years, I worked at an office in my town, doing computer print work and proofreading. While loading printers with paper, I listened to a Christian talk radio station. Every day, I heard Charles Stanley, Chuck Swindoll and Michael Youssef preach. A new Christian poked her head in my office one day.

"Don't you get enough of that on Sunday?" she joked.

I was chewing on the meat of the Word; building the framework of my own, personal faith. My niece wouldn't give her baby a 16-ounce rib eye for his first meal, and a NFL linebacker couldn't do his job with only baby formula in his tummy. Are you just beginning your spiritual journey? Start with the life and work of Christ. Once you are secure in your beliefs, then mature and grow your faith with the strong meat of God's Word.

***

Female in Motion Exercise Update: I did two 30-minute Wii workouts with yoga and strength training, and two 30-minute disco aerobic routines last week. I have dropped four pounds in the last two weeks. Because of the impending surgery and treatment, I have gone off all herbal supplements and hormone replacement therapy.

***

Notable Quote:


"Knowledge is a process of piling up facts; wisdom lies in their simplification."--Martin H. Fischer

Comments

Wanda said…
Hi I am visiting from Christian Women Blogger Network. You made excellent point. Start consuming God's Word where we are and as we grow we can consume more of it.
Wanda: Thanks so much for the comment. Welcome to my blog! Hope you stop by again sometime.

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Your Neighbor

Summer of Simplicity: Lift Someone Up

Bravely Onward