Cancer: It's Tough to Break the News



I got my hair cut last week. Funny thing about cancer. Your life doesn't stop. You get up, go to work, clean your house and grocery shop. When you're sitting in the doctor's office and in the quiet puddles of midnight, that's the time when cancer is real and dangerous.

While shampooing my hair, my stylist recounted the tale of her son's bicycle accident, which sent him to the emergency room (and sent his mother through the roof!). At the end of the story, she jokingly added, "Beat that!"

And that's when I told her I had breast cancer. Boy, that's a conversation killer. Erica's eyes filled with tears. "No, no, not you!" she cried, as I hugged her tight. This is the ritual I go through every time I have to tell someone in my life that I have breast cancer.

The hardest people to tell have been my mom and daughters. It cuts to the bone when you have to hurt loved ones. I feel so bad for them; that they have to go through this. When you're a mother, your focus is never on yourself. It's on how your children are affected. In this fight, I will be strong and show them comfort.

Before Jesus finished His time walking this planet, He told the disciples that they weren't going to be alone. God was sending a Comforter to dwell in their hearts. This Holy Spirit would guide and protect them in their lives, helping them to make wise decisions and stay close to the Father. As we journey, the Holy Spirit will do for us today what He did for Jesus' disciples. We are never alone.

***

Last month, I told my writing coach that I was almost finished writing my first book. He said my assignment for this month is to finish the book, no matter what. Well, I didn't let a small thing like cancer get in my way. I finished my book last week and sent it off to the editor. Now I am eager to see what this new adventure may bring. Who knew I was such a risk taker?

***

I have some good news on the medical front: today, when I went for an ultrasound to get a better look at the second suspicious mass my MRI detected, they couldn't find one. That's right, the second mass is gone! I am giving the glory to God for this healing and trusting Him to lead me through the rest. Thanks for your prayers!

***

One great resource I have is a book by my blogger buddy, Holley Gerth. "Rain on Me: Devotions of Hope & Encouragement for Difficult Times" is exactly what I need to get me through each day. I highly recommend it for anyone going through a battle. This book is available through Amazon.com for $5.20. She's also written a brand new book, "You're Already Amazing." Check it out!

***

Female in Motion Exercise Update: I did three 30-minute Wii workouts and two 30-minute disco aerobics sessions last week. I saw a three-pound drop in my weight, so I hope to continue that trend.

***

Notable Quote:

John 14:16 (KJV)
And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;

Comments

Jacque said…
Beautiful...just like you!
Bonnie Tharp said…
You are one feisty woman. Tillie would be proud, I know I am. God Bless. -BD

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Your Neighbor

Summer of Simplicity: Lift Someone Up

Bravely Onward