Ferris Wheel or Roller Coaster?


Job 42:9-13 (KJV)
9 So Eliphaz the Temanite and Bildad the Shuhite and Zophar the Naamathite went, and did according as the LORD commanded them: the LORD also accepted Job.
10 And the LORD turned the captivity of Job, when he prayed for his friends: also the LORD gave Job twice as much as he had before.
11 Then came there unto him all his brethren, and all his sisters, and all they that had been of his acquaintance before, and did eat bread with him in his house: and they bemoaned him, and comforted him over all the evil that the LORD had brought upon him: every man also gave him a piece of money, and every one an earring of gold.
12 So the LORD blessed the latter end of Job more than his beginning: for he had fourteen thousand sheep, and six thousand camels, and a thousand yoke of oxen, and a thousand she asses.
13 He had also seven sons and three daughters.


Job's life wasn't perfect. Yeah, that's an understatement. He was tested and tried, beaten and bruised, depressed and destitute. When God allowed Satan to put his hand on faithful Job, he lost his family, wealth, influence and health. He never turned his back on God, though. His faith held strong.

In the end, the Lord accepted...restored...increased...blessed. The situation was turned around and God gave Job twice as much as he had before. Job's new life began because of one action. The trigger was when he prayed for his friends in verse 10. God honors the sacrifice of prayer.

Sometime in our lives, there will be challenges, cares and conflict. Our Heavenly Father doesn't promise us a Sunday afternoon ride on a Ferris wheel. Life can come at you heavy, like a supersonic roller coaster. That's when we dig down deep in our souls and pray for others who are hurting. Pain dwells in isolation.

Last week was a tornado of new emotion and vulnerability, but in the quiet moments, I felt peace. In my heart and in my mind, I know that my Savior is beside me and all my friends and family are standing with me. I have breast cancer, but I'm not defeated, not afraid, and not alone. I am a warrior in pink and I stand shoulder-to-shoulder with you.

***

I consulted with two breast surgeons, Therese Cusick and Diane Hunt, both of Wichita. We are praying on which to pick. They are both super women and over qualified. My husband's oncologist is Mohammad Razaq, and we think he's wonderful with a state-of-the-art facility. I know I am in good hands. While we are waiting on results of an MRI and genetic tests, we will meet with a plastic surgeon, in case I need reconstructive surgery.

The reason I'm giving details is because I don't want anyone who may be going through this to feel alone or afraid. If I can face this, anyone can. There will be no mystery, no shame. Put a great team around you and positive people to cheer you. And then, meet it head on.

***

Female in Motion Exercise Update: I did four 30-minute Wii workouts last week. Mostly yoga, because it helps me relax. I needed that!

***

Notable Quote:

"Feed your faith and your fears will starve to death."--Author Unknown

Comments

Bonnie Tharp said…
I admire you and love you. Keep writing.

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Your Neighbor

Summer of Simplicity: Lift Someone Up

Bravely Onward