Kicking it Old School




The University of Missouri College of Engineering Scholarship Banquet was held last Thursday night. Around southern Kansas, that's not a very exciting event, but to me, it's definitely not-to-be-missed. You see, after my father passed away, my sister, Laura, suggested that our family honor him by starting a scholarship at his alma mater. My dad attended MU-Columbia in the 1950's after returning from serving in the Air Force during the Korean Conflict.

Every fall, members of my family travel to Columbia to meet our latest scholarship recipient and honor my father's memory. This year, my sister, Laura, myself and my mother traveled to be there. We got a couple of rooms at a hotel on campus and made a "girls night out" out of it. We had a lot of fun talking and looking around the campus together.

Our latest student, Jacob Miller, Liberty, MO, was so cool! He's a freshman mechanical engineering student, with two sisters already in college, so you know he and his family can use the help. He was an honor student in high school, taking 40 credits of AP classes, but more than that, this was a really great guy. We're so proud that he's representing my dad's name at the university. Next year...TWO STUDENTS!

***

"Back to the 80's" was a fun, fast-paced musical put on by Ark City High School students last weekend. I enjoyed Saturday night's performance of high-stepping, high-energy antics. The play centered on senior year at a high school in the 1980's, and all the student council elections, dating catastrophes, prom nights and anonymous love notes that involves. The music was great; all the artists we loved: Cindi Lauper, Michael Jackson, Rick Astley and Madonna. There was a live band on stage the entire time, comprised of Conner Coldwell, Cameron Crabtree, Rebecca Tast and Jeff Adams. My favorite performances were by actors Shane Clark, Joe Descartes, Mary Beth Byers, Rachel McAfee, Brenda Mapel and David Bartlett. Great job, guys!

***

The Cowley County Writers Guild will host a special Book Talk/Book Signing event at Ark City Public Library at 6:30 p.m. Thursday, November 18, 2010. Celebrating National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo), local authors Grant Williams, Dr. Steve Swaim and Tom Junkins will be discussing their latest books and Rik Tanos, of Tanos Publishing, Coffeyville, KS, will provide information on book publishing. Refreshments will be served and don't forget to pick up a signed copy of one of their books!

***

Female in Motion Exercise Update: I only did three aerobic workouts last week, due to my travel schedule. I also did some walking around the MU campus and cleaned the church on Saturday morning.

***

Notable Quote:

"A lot of fellows nowadays have a B.A., M.D., or Ph.D. Unfortunately, they don't have a J.O.B."--"Fats" Domino

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Your Neighbor

Summer of Simplicity: Lift Someone Up

Bravely Onward