R.I.P. Granny

A soft, warm glow left the earth on Sunday morning. The Hubster's sweet Granny passed over to Heaven and we will miss her terribly. Granny was 88 years old and had been in very poor health, so it was not unexpected, but I find myself remembering the little things. She loved to read, could make anything grow, was a great Southern cook, enjoyed jigsaw puzzles, and her sweet tea was unbeatable! Open wide, heaven's gates, and welcome this sweet spirit!

***

Spring is busting out all over, to misquote the old musical, Carousel. Our lilac has leaves and is ready to bloom, the red bud bushes are already blooming and the robins are belting out love songs to match Andrea Bocelli! We had a huge thunderstorm this evening, though, with lots of rain and a little hail, to boot. I hope the sweet young buds are not totally gone. And the flowers, too!

***

I just started a new book, "The Shack," by William P. Young. I find it compelling and hard and very well-written. It is a popular book, so let me know what you think of it. Just don't tell me the details, I'm only on Chapter 3!

***

Exercise update: I worked out three times last week, walked all over the mall one day and did calisthenics with hand weights five days. Hooray for biceps!

***

Quote of the week:

"The older theology tended to produce character. By the end of the twentieth century, we have become God's demanding little brats. In church, we must be entertained. Our emotions must be charged. We must be offered amusing programs. We give up a lot to become Christians and what little teaching we do get must cater to our pragmatic, self-centered interests. Preaching must be filled with clever anecdotes and colorful illustrations with nothing more than passing references to doctrine. I want to know what this means for me in my daily experience. Have we forgotten that God is a monarch? He is The King, by whom and for whom all things were made and by whose sovereign power they are sustained. We exist for His pleasure, not He for ours. We are on this earth to entertain Him, please Him, adore Him, bring him satisfaction, excitement and joy. Any gospel that seeks to answer the question, 'What's in this for me?' has it all backwards. The question is, 'What's in it for God?'"--excerpt from "Made in America: The Shaping of Modern American Evangelism" by Mike Horton.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Your Neighbor

Summer of Simplicity: Lift Someone Up

Bravely Onward