True West

Every once in a while, something comes along and...blammo! You get it right between the eyes. The Hubster and I watched a PBS show 21 years ago, and haven't been able to get it out of our minds ever since.

"True West" is a Sam Shepard play that was shown on PBS ONCE in 1983. I don't remember if it was Masterpiece Theater or Great Performances. It starred a much younger John Malkovich and Gary Sinise, as adult brothers who spend the weekend at their mother's home. The play is categorized as a dramatic comedy. In other words, it's a real slice of life!

The play is full of sibling rivalry, laughs, arguments and lots of toast. (Inside joke!) Set in their mother's kitchen, the boys spend a weekend trying to work through all their childhood baggage. It might work, if they don't kill each other first.

Although it rarely happens, The Hubster laughed himself silly throughout this play. He hardly ever finds anything that funny. Since we talked so much about it through the years, I decided to try and find a copy. That was the beginning of my True West Quest.

The Hubster's birthday was coming up, so I started to research in early August. No video or book stores had it. I tried Amazon.com, but they said it was unavailable. They referred me to a video store in New Jersey that carried rare titles. I emailed the store and while they didn't have it in stock, they knew of another store that might have it.

Long story short, The Hubster was a very surprised and happy man on the anniversary of his birth this year. We watched it the very next day, and True West was just as good as we remembered it. Maybe even better. God is cool that way, He helps you with little things like finding a neat film, just to make you happy.

***

I am back to 40-minute workouts four days a week again. I hope that this will keep my energy and weight loss on the right track. It will also help with my mood, since winter is coming soon.

Twenty minutes each on the treadmill and elliptical machines is a good thing, I think. However, I can only do 10 minutes of cardio arm weights on the treadmill, and four minutes on the elliptical. I just keep telling myself...it's better than nothing! As Scarlett O'Hara once said, "Tomorrow is another day!"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Your Neighbor

Summer of Simplicity: Lift Someone Up

Bravely Onward