Saving Memories

My mom gave me a great gift last week. A video set of my grandparent's memories is being passed around the family. My Uncle Don and his oldest son, Jeff, videotaped my maternal grandparents telling stories of their childhood.

I immediately forced The Hubster to burn copies of them to keep! This is a golden treasure...in their own words. What a treat to see my grandparents, sitting in their favorite living room chairs, laughing and talking about growing up in Missouri, and meeting each other in high school and falling in love...it's amazing!

It made me think how important it is to save the stories of our lives, so that we can pass down this heritage to our kids and grandkids. I really want to make this a priority.

My mom has already started a project similar to this. She is having all of our family photos, slides and reel-to-reel audio tapes transferred onto DVD's. Some of them are from the early 1950's! This type of photography and sound will be obsolete in a few years, and will be lost forever.

Okay, enough soapboxing!!! This week was pretty routine, other than work, tracking my mom's progress through Europe and helping Rachel get a new battery for her car. Rachel's car wouldn't start after work on Thursday night, so I made a trip to Wichita on Friday morning. We got her car into the shop, had a nice Chinese lunch, and did some grocery shopping before we had to pick it up. It was a quick visit, but we had fun. I love spending time with the girls!

I have to sing at a church in Oklahoma City on Friday night. They're having a special night of music and our church has been invited to participate. I always get so nervous at these things!! I have been singing solos since I was a teenager, but it just doesn't get any easier. I want to do a good job, so I worry. I know that this is a gift from God, so I share it with others because it is the right thing to do. I'm not saying that my voice is the finest in the world, but I do love to sing. It's the performing in front of people I love that is the tough part. I know it sounds strange, but I'd rather perform in front of a thousand strangers, than one or two people I care about!

I am really loving working out at FitZone. At first I thought that everyone there was young and had perfect bodies, but now I see more and more people like me...middle-aged with less-than-perfect bodies! I see more progress in myself every week. I am up to 45 minutes per day now, and I feel more confident about how my body looks. I'm a long way from perfect, though.

Rome wasn't built in a day, and I didn't get fat overnight!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Your Neighbor

Summer of Simplicity: Lift Someone Up

Bravely Onward