Rest Stops

Psalm 127:2 (KJV) It is vain for you to rise up early, to sit up late, to eat the bread of sorrows: for so he giveth his beloved sleep. 

Our family lost a beloved member last week. As we gathered to bury our loved one, we shared family stories and cherished memories. It was tough. We talked and cried and hugged. After we left to make our way back to Kansas, I began to realize how keyed up and exhausted I was. The Hubster, my mom and I stopped at rest stop in Cassoday on the way home. We sat and ate chicken sandwiches, feeling kind of numb.

It made me think about what rest stops are, and why they are necessary along the journey.

Don't do what I do--go until I collapse completely and sleep for 13 hours. Self-care means time to breathe, sleep and rest.

If you want to grow stronger in your faith and endurance, build regular rest stops in your week. This life's journey is long, but periodic rest will bring peace to your tired soul.

***

Notable Quote:

"We live longer than our forefathers; but we suffer more from a thousand artificial anxieties and cares. They fatigued only the muscles, we exhaust the finer strength of the nerves."--Edward George Bulwer-Lytton

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Your Neighbor

Summer of Simplicity: Lift Someone Up

Bravely Onward