Time For A Checkup

Photo courtesy of Fr Ed Namiotka

Psalm 43:5 (KJV) Why art thou cast down, O my soul? and why art thou disquieted within me? hope in God: for I shall yet praise him, who is the health of my countenance, and my God.
During the first few months of every year, I get all my checkups done. By the time I have seen my family care physician, oncologist, dermatologist, and dentist, not to mention all the lab work and x-rays, it is nearly Spring and my bank account is seriously depleted.

While all these visits are vital for my overall health and well-being, they only tell part of the picture. It’s good if my tumor markers are low, my blood pressure is steady and my mammogram is clear. The only way to tell if I am spiritually healthy, though, is to do a faith checkup.

I need to take some time and ask myself a few important questions.

1.       How close do I feel to God?
2.       Do I spend time daily in prayer and meditation on the Word?
3.       Am I feeling joyful or depressed?

If my mood is low and I’m feeling all alone, I know I am spiritually sick. It’s time to concentrate on getting healthy. Talk to a trusted friend, accountability partner or your pastor. Get serious about Bible study and prayer. Most importantly, be honest with your Heavenly Father. Confess your sin and doubts and spend some time reconnecting with the One who loves you best and most.

***

Notable Quote:

"Eat right, exercise regularly, die anyway."--Author Unknown

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Your Neighbor

Summer of Simplicity: Lift Someone Up

Bravely Onward