Things Too High For Me

Courtesy of Brett Wilson
Psalm 131:1-3 (KJV) LORD, my heart is not haughty, nor mine eyes lofty: neither do I exercise myself in great matters, or in things too high for me. Surely I have behaved and quieted myself, as a child that is weaned of his mother: my soul is even as a weaned child. Let Israel hope in the LORD from henceforth and for ever.

Public speaking is something I can do. When I had to make a short presentation before a group of new hires at work last month, I was confident. Until later, when someone gave me some constructive criticism. Swallowing hard, the words soaked in and I realized there was room for improvement. I was humbled.

It's not a new condition. I'm humbled quite often. Life can be filled with teachable moments.

Think about Moses. He was destined to be Pharaoh: strong, ambitious and perfectly positioned. And then he found himself alone in the desert, chasing sheep, ignored and unknown...for forty years. The Lord used this humbling time to educate Moses in servant leadership.

Do you think it was a coincidence that Moses herded sheep around the desert for forty years and then led the children of Israel around the desert for forty years, as well? I think not.

The Lord's lessons in humility will reap great rewards in your Kingdom work. Be teachable, friends.

***

Notable Quote:

"It wasn't until late in life that I discovered how easy it is to say 'I don't know.'"--W. Somerset Maugham

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Your Neighbor

Summer of Simplicity: Lift Someone Up

Bravely Onward