Thanksgiving Reflections: Grab Hold of His Hand

We had a fire drill at work today. No big deal...we have one every month. Today, it happened at noon, while the children were eating lunch. As taught, I grabbed my keys and headed outside to the playground. Holly, our site coordinator, directed me toward the toddler classroom door.

"Please help with the little ones!"

As I approached the opening door, a swarm of little faces greeted me. Joshua and Jacob each grabbed one of my outstretched hands and I led them away from the building. The boys wore lunch bibs, with messy faces and sticky fingers. Joshua held tight to my hand as we walked, while Jacob tried to wriggle free.

"Play, play!" he shouted.

As I picked him up, I reassured both tots that they would soon be back to their regular routine. Jacob wanted down to walk, so I put him on his feet and took his small hand in mine once again. Within a few steps, my wayward one stopped and sat down on the sidewalk.

We slowly made our way to the fence line, my little charges toddling along beside me. I had to keep a close eye on Jacob, so he wouldn't wander off. Joshua looked up at me, smiling, and pointed to a passing jet plane overhead.

Soon, the fire drill was over and we made our way back to the classroom. Thankfully, another employee scooped up Jacob and carried him back. I was relieved to pass custody of my pint-sized pals back to their teachers and make my way to a quiet office.

On my commute home, I thought about Joshua and Jacob's behavior this morning, and how I react when God is leading me on a new path. Reaching up to take His outstretched hand, I often try to wriggle free, instead of enjoying His closeness and protection. I believe other paths might be more fun or successful, instead of putting my trust in the One who loves me above all others.

***

Female in Motion Health Update: The sinus infection that plagued me last week is a dim memory today, although I'm still taking antibiotics. So glad to be back at work!

***

Notable Quote:

Matthew 14:29-33 (KJV)
29 And he said, Come. And when Peter was come down out of the ship, he walked on the water, to go to Jesus.
30 But when he saw the wind boisterous, he was afraid; and beginning to sink, he cried, saying, Lord, save me.
31 And immediately Jesus stretched forth his hand, and caught him, and said unto him, O thou of little faith, wherefore didst thou doubt?
32 And when they were come into the ship, the wind ceased.
33 Then they that were in the ship came and worshipped him, saying, Of a truth thou art the Son of God.

Comments

Lovely story and analogy. Thanks for sharing, Carol!
Thank you, Nancy! I appreciate your input.

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Your Neighbor

Summer of Simplicity: Lift Someone Up

Bravely Onward