Breast Cancer Awareness Month: Survivor's Guilt

I like to tell people I had a very mild case of breast cancer. It makes me feel a teensy bit better about not being more sick. I had it too easy.

Side effects for my type of treatment were mild: very little nausea, a few radiation burns, neuropathy. I actually gained some weight, due to all the steroids they loaded with my chemo doses. The guilt didn't start until I was done fighting cancer.

Others have it so much tougher than I did; people with lung, colon and liver cancer. They really suffered. In addition, nobody wears cute t-shirts and has fun runs for liver cancer, it's just not "sexy." Attention equals money, in cancer terms.

And so, I feel guilty.

For not being more sick.

For not suffering more.

For surviving.

Guilt is not from God. It serves no purpose. It's not helpful.

I'm not guilty.

I am a survivor. By the grace of God.

***

Female in Motion Health Update: I'm freezing at work, so I'm taking a small space heater to warm up my cubicle.

***

Notable Quote:

Psalm 63:3-4 (KJV)
3 Because thy lovingkindness is better than life, my lips shall praise thee.
4 Thus will I bless thee while I live: I will lift up my hands in thy name.

Comments

I hear survivor's guilt is very common. The experts say the guilt is at the same level soldiers and first responders have after a traumatic event. The big C is scary and coming out the other side must be just as daunting. But you are a Female In Motion!!!!

http://www.livestrong.org/we-can-help/finishing-treatment/emotions-after-cancer-treatment/

Thanks for the great link, Mayor! And for being a wonderful cheerleader!

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Your Neighbor

Summer of Simplicity: Lift Someone Up

Bravely Onward