Breast Cancer Awareness Month: 10 Ways Breast Cancer Made My Life Better

It's October and that means it's Breast Cancer Awareness Month. Since I have a bit of personal experience on this topic, I will share insights and maybe some secrets, too. Here are ten ways this disease made my life better.

Friends: I had no idea how many people truly cared about me, until I was diagnosed with cancer. Every week, a stack of encouraging cards arrived in the mail, and sweet phone calls and emails by the dozens. I am so blessed!

Hair: I've always fussed over my hair. It seems to have a mind of its own. After the initial shock of losing it, I considered the six months of baldness as a hair vacation. What a relief not to have to worry about how my hair would come out!

Strength: When the rubber meets the road, you never really know how you'll react to a hard situation. I am not naturally a strong person, but I am a good soldier, so I looked to God for guidance and stayed close to Him. This has stuck with me as I move forward in my life. How hard is it to do something new, when you have fought a battle with life itself?

Rest: I'm a busy chick, so I never realized how important rest was until I had no energy. Chemo and radiation sap your life force. When I'm ready to give out now, I stop and recharge my batteries.

Giving: My friends and family brought food and gifts, cleaned the house, did repairs and ministered to me. It was an interesting perspective; I'm used to being the one who helps. God taught me to be gracious and accept help.

Prayer: My worship level is deeper, richer, more meaningful than ever before. I am so grateful for each new day. My morning commute to Wichita has turned into a praise and worship session. I am so grateful!

Relationships: I am privileged to have a few close confidantes. These people are more precious to me now than all the riches the world holds.

Priorities: All the little details of life really don't matter that much. Having a conversation with my daughters or mom, spending time with The Hubster, and attending church services are vital to my life. The other things are much lower on the list.

Body Image: I have surgical scars all over my body and am missing one breast, but I have gained so much more. So I have learned to be gentle with myself. Yes, my meds have added some pounds to my frame, but they help me keep cancer at bay. This body belongs to a strong warrior.

Life: Every breath I take is sanctified by my Heavenly Father. He alone numbers my days. What a gift it is to live this life!

***

Female in Motion Health Update: My new routine is starting to fall into place. As a by-product, I've lost 9 pounds. Cool!

***

Notable Quote:

Psalm 86:11-12 (KJV)
11 Teach me thy way, O LORD; I will walk in thy truth: unite my heart to fear thy name.
12 I will praise thee, O Lord my God, with all my heart: and I will glorify thy name for evermore.

Comments

Ginny Marie said…
Wonderful, encouraging post! I think I can say my life was made better in many of these ways as well! Thanks for kicking off breast cancer awareness month in such a positive way. :)
Thanks so much, Ginny Marie! Your support means everything to me.
What an amazing post. Thank you for the inspiration on such a gloomy day. Huge congrats on surviving the big C and losing some of the extra pounds Chemo gave you as a parting gift. Conquered two big Cs in one lifetime! Now that is one powerful woman!
Aw, thanks, Sharon! I strive to be a help to whoever needs encouragement, because you and many others have been so encouraging to me.

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Your Neighbor

Summer of Simplicity: Lift Someone Up

Bravely Onward