Summer of Simplicity: A Simple Trip

Deuteronomy 32:7 (KJV) Remember the days of old, consider the years of many generations: ask thy father, and he will shew thee; thy elders, and they will tell thee.


My father was a motorcycle enthusiast. Riding an Indian when he was a young man, he won my mom's heart.  Years later, when he purchased a Honda cycle, I couldn't wait to take a ride. Never having been on one before, my dad taught me how to lean in to the curves and hold on tight to him. It was then that a tradition was born.

I was an early riser in my youth, unlike my morning habit now. On Sundays, when the rest of the family was still tucked in their beds, my father and I would dress warmly, hop on the Honda and cruise the quiet streets of Derby. On our way home, we'd stop by the local doughnut shop and make a purchase.

With three siblings, it was pretty rare for me to have any "Dad time," so our early-morning doughnut runs were rare and wonderful. Now that my father has passed away, I hold these memories close to my heart.

The Hubster had a similar routine with our oldest daughter, soon after her little sister arrived. They would take off to the local McDonalds for breakfast every Saturday morning. It was a perk of being the first-born, and she loved the special time they spent, just the two of them.

Creating lasting memories doesn't take a heap of money, nor large blocks of time. It simply takes a kind heart and a fun attitude. What sticks in a child's mind is the fact that you cared enough to show them they were worth the effort.

***

Female in Motion Health Update: My focus has not been on my health this week, but The Hubster's. He had surgery on Thursday and has been in the hospital since, only being released this afternoon. He will have a long recovery, but I am grateful to God for His healing and mercy. In job news, I have an interview this week. I'll keep you posted.

***

Notable Quote:

We do not remember days; we remember moments.--Cesare Pavese, The Burning Brand


Comments

I hope he recovers quickly. I will keep you both in my prayers.
Thanks for your prayers, Sharon! The Hubster is sore, but progressing. I'll keep you posted.

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Your Neighbor

Summer of Simplicity: Lift Someone Up

Bravely Onward