Preach the Word

Last November, the long-time pastor of our little church retired. A challenge has now begun--how to find a new shepherd for our flock. Many meetings and conversations have followed and one of the biggest questions we have is "what are we looking for in a new pastor?"

Preachers are a rare bunch. Most are outgoing and effective communicators with superior knowledge of the Bible and a strong faith in God. It takes a special person to counsel the grieving, broker peace between feuding friends and unplug a toilet or two, as needed.  

Here's my wish list for a new pastor:

Must have a heart for God and his people.
All people. Not just the pretty ones. Or the nice ones.

Must lead by example.
Be someone others want to follow.

Must speak the truth with love.
Not a hammer.

It's easy to build up unrealistic expectations when it comes to a new leader, but we're not looking for a superhero. A human, that admits to his mistakes and is made of flesh and blood will do just fine.

A pastor receives his authority from the Lord and His Word. He's not here to please or entertain his congregation, but to serve and lead, with plenty of God's mercy.

***

Female in Motion Health Update: I only worked three hours last weekend--total. I'm still fighting myself to let the work lay and rest my body and mind. Trying to spend time reflecting on my worth, in God's eyes and my own. Interior work is a long process, but worth it.

***

Notable Quote: 

Acts 20:20-21 (KJV) And how I kept back nothing that was profitable unto you, but have shewed you, and have taught you publickly, and from house to house, Testifying both to the Jews, and also to the Greeks, repentance toward God, and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ.

Comments

Unknown said…
Found you by way of Ginnie Marie's top 10 blogs. I know how difficult it can be when a pastor leaves; and how equally difficult it can be to find a new pastor. My prayers are with you!
Thanks for your comment, Jenny! And thank you for stopping by my blog. God bless!

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Your Neighbor

Summer of Simplicity: Lift Someone Up

Bravely Onward