Precious Ointment

Matthew 26:6-12 (KJV)
Now when Jesus was in Bethany, in the house of Simon the leper, There came unto him a woman having an alabaster box of very precious ointment, and poured it on his head, as he sat at meat. But when his disciples saw it, they had indignation, saying, To what purpose is this waste? For this ointment might have been sold for much, and given to the poor. When Jesus understood it, he said unto them, Why trouble ye the woman? for she hath wrought a good work upon me. For ye have the poor always with you; but me ye have not always. For in that she hath poured this ointment on my body, she did it for my burial.


Twice a day, I slather Bag Balm all over my chest and under my right arm. It helps to keep the skin soft and protected. I am halfway through radiation treatment for breast cancer. My oncologist said to find something thick with no alcohol content. A couple of cancer buddies who have been through this already said Bag Balm is the best stuff.

While the current price for Bag Balm will not break the bank, I do consider it a precious ointment. My burns don't give me any pain yet, but they may become more serious as I continue. The mentholated salve in the little green tin blesses me with comfort. I am grateful, and I will pass it on to others as they face radiation, too.

The precious ointment that the woman from Bethany poured on the head of our Savior was a blessing to Him, as well. He knew the sacrifice she had made for Him, and the one He soon would be making.

As we approach this Resurrection Day, consider what the woman from Bethany gave to our Lord. Her sacrifice was not just monetary. She gave of herself. Think of Christ: He gave it all for us.When we give sacrificially to Him, it is never wasted. Give it all, friends. He's worth it.

***

Notable Quote:

"Our old history ends with the cross; our new history begins with the resurrection."--Watchman Nee, Chinese evangelist (1903-1972)

Comments

Unknown said…
I love your insight to this passage! Thanks so much. Happy Easter!
Happy Easter to you, too, EB! Thanks so much for visiting my website. I look forward to getting to know you on Google+.
Ginny Marie said…
So glad you found something that works! I never went through radiation, so I'm not experienced in its effects. I love how you tied it to the story of the woman who anointed Jesus. So many lessons in just one small story of Jesus' life!

Have a wonderful Easter weekend, Carol!
Happy Resurrection Day to you, Ginny Marie! I think radiation is a walk in the park compared to chemo, but maybe that's just me. I just have a sunburn that's a tad itchy. Otherwise, I'm my regular nutty self. Thanks for reading this post!

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Your Neighbor

Summer of Simplicity: Lift Someone Up

Bravely Onward