Happy 5th Blogaversary!





I got my hair cut today, maybe for the last time in a while. You see, I'm starting chemo very soon, and my oncologist has informed me that the first thing that happens is you lose your hair. It's funny, but I'm not really bummed about that. Mostly, I'm curious. I wonder what my head looks like without hair?

Did I mention how much I hate having my picture taken? God has impressed upon my heart that I should take my photo every week to accompany my posts, at least until the chemotherapy is over, maybe longer. It's crazy, the challenges that God gives us. This will be uncomfortable for me, and maybe for some of you, too. We'll get through it together; you, me and God.

Don't get me wrong...I love my hair. It took me a long time to get to that realization. When I was young, it was too curly, then as I became an adult, it was completely unruly. Finally, my hair started graying very young. So I colored it. A lot. For 18 years.

Two years ago, I made a decision. I was going to get real with my hair. I stopped coloring it, and I also stopped brushing it. In fact, I threw away all my styling tools, except the hair dryer. Some days, the curls behave, and some days they don't. It's all me.

Now is the time for a new hair adventure. I will wear hats, scarves and maybe even wigs. And I will find out what I look like bald. Once it starts growing out again, I can't wait to try some fun new short styles. Maybe it will come back in a different color!

***

Five years ago, I sat down at my computer and set up a blog. It took about a half an hour, and it changed my world. But I didn't know that then. I just wanted to write a bit about starting to exercise again after a long time away from it and about being an empty-nester. I never thought that God would lead me in the direction that He has, and how much this blog means to me. So, thank you, to each one of you, who read every post and encourage me to keep at it.

Want a laugh? Here's a link to my very first blog post, dated August, 13, 2007:  http://www.fim-carol.blogspot.com/2007/08/my-first-blog.html

***

Female in Motion Exercise Update: I walked two miles last week and did PT every day. My weight continues to slowly drop. I bought a new bathroom scale last week. It replaces the old one that I purchased as a newlywed. Yeah, it's THAT old!

***

Notable Quote:

"I don't care if they call me "baldie" or "chrome dome."  God took an eraser and brushed my head clean.  I'd rather be bald on top than bald inside."--Joe Garagiola, 1975

Comments

Unknown said…
I think you look simply beautiful! With or without hair, it will remain the same! You are amazingly talented and I'm honored to call you friend!
Unknown said…
Oh, and happy blogaversary! Here's to five more!
H.B. Berlow said…
We tend to think about how many people we might be changing when in reality, we are changing ourselves. And others come along for the ride.

What an incredible journey! And what a (relatively) short period of time!

Looking forward to the next five years (and beyond!)
Thanks for your kind words, Sam and H.B.! I can't believe how far my writing has come in five years. The use of the word "really" alone is a victory.
Marla said…
Carol, I read your first blog and ahd to laugh at the change in direction it took. Mine did the same thing! You start out thinking you know what you want your blog to be...and then it redefines itself over time into what it SHOULD be. Congrats on the blogaversary!
Thanks, Marla! Yes, God had other plans for Female in Motion.

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Your Neighbor

Summer of Simplicity: Lift Someone Up

Bravely Onward