A Tale of Three Good Books



Vacations are a great time to relax and see some new things. My favorite thing to do on vacation, (besides eating like crazy!), is reading. I love to read and would enjoy nothing more than a comfy chair under a shade tree with a ridiculously large stack of books. Okay, somewhere tropical with 24-hour free room service wouldn't be bad, either.

I managed to read three books in the last two weeks, partly because I was on vacation half of that time. Receiving a Kindle for Christmas from The Hubster has really made reading even more portable. Instead of packing three paperbacks in my suitcase, I threw my Kindle in my purse. (It currently holds 26 books.) These titles were so good, I couldn't wait to get back home and tell you all about them.

Momala's Book Club Pick #1: O, Pioneers! by Willa Cather, is a classic prairie tale about Swedish, Bohemian and French immigrant farmers in 19th century Nebraska. Although this book is not a new title, the main character is a strong, independent woman farmer who uses her considerable brains and determination to carve out a prosperous life in the plains of Nebraska. O, Pioneers! is a story of passion and perseverance. Think: Romeo and Juliet meets Little House on the Prairie. Four out of five stars. Book is in the public domain. Available in paperback from Amazon.com for $9.95.

Momala's Book Club Pick #2: Same Kind of Different as Me by Ron Hall, Denver Moore and Lynn Vincent, is a 2008 inspirational book that retells the story of a wealthy Texas couple that decide to "give back" by volunteering in a soup kitchen and get back a whole lot more than they give. Four out of five stars. Published by Thomas Nelson. Available in paperback from Amazon.com for $9.77.

Momala's Book Club Pick #3: The Help by Kathryn Stockett, is a popular current title, and for good reason. This is an incredibly good, touching story by a brand-new, first time author. Set in Jackson, Mississippi in the 1960's, this book centers on a group of black maids that serve the white families of the community. It also tells the story of several white members of the local Junior League. There are no good guys or bad guys, just real flawed people trying to make their way in an uncertain time. This story is funny and sad and sweet and real. I can't recommend it highly enough. Five out of five stars. Published by Berkley Books. Available in paperback from Amazon.com for $8.65.

***

Female in Motion Exercise Update: I did three aerobic workouts last week. It's a good thing I am getting back to my regular routine, because I gained three pounds from our time in San Diego. Good thing vacations don't happen often!

***

Notable Quote:

"Maybe I ain't too old to start over, I think, and I laugh and cry at the same time at this. Cause just last night I thought I was finished with everthing new."--spoken by Aibileen, a character in the book, The Help, by Kathryn Stockett

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Your Neighbor

Summer of Simplicity: Lift Someone Up

Bravely Onward