She's a Dork, Part 1


It was September of my junior year in high school. I had dressed very carefully that day, a cute cap-sleeved t-shirt with French cut jeans. Leaving my English class, I entered the stairwell to go down to my locker. There he was. The object of my huge crush. "Mr. T" was headed up the stairs as I was coming down. I flashed my best smile and took a step towards him...and then I took a header.

In the coming months, I am going to be retelling my most embarrassing moments, simply for your delight. In my last blog entry, I promised to be more introspective and personal in my writing and I couldn't think of any better way than revealing my most humiliating moments. So enjoy, dear readers!

Lying at the bottom of the stairs, listening to the guffaws of various and assorted under- and upper-classmen, I had the chance to take stock of my relationship with Mr. T. He was a senior, varsity football player, and older brother of my own brother's best friend. And I had spoken to him once, briefly. Actually, it was just "hello." Okay, not even "hello," it was "hi."

I came to the utterly humbling realization that I had imagined the whole thing. It was completely contrived in my mind. There was no relationship. He barely knew who I was! While I had been planning our wedding, he hadn't even give a thought to asking me out. In fact, a week after my nosedive, he asked another girl from my mascot squad to go steady with him. The End.

Have you ever manufactured an entire relationship on looks alone and no substance? As humans, we tend to look at the packaging first, then sometimes, but not always, take the time to look deeper. Aren't you glad God doesn't do that? I sure am! Our heavenly Father knows all the deepest, most embarrassing secrets of our hearts and loves us anyway. Take the time to really get to know Him, it will be the best crush you've ever had.

***

Female in Motion Exercise Update: I did two 30-minute disco aerobic workouts last week and twice jogged a mile with the Wii Sports package. What's really cool is that until last week, I didn't have any idea that I could jog a mile without stopping to huff and puff and wheeze. I'm going to try for three miles this week and then, who knows? Maybe a 5K in another five years? Ha!

***

Notable Quote:

"I am not your friend. I am your parent. I will stalk you, flip out on you, lecture you, drive you insane, be your worst nightmare and hunt you down when needed, because I love you. When you understand that, I will know you're a responsible adult. You will never find someone who loves, prays, cares and worries about you more than me. This is my promise to you."--A Parent's Promise by Joel Felix

Comments

Marla said…
Great! Now I have to pull out the yearbook and figure out who this mystery man is! lol

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Your Neighbor

Summer of Simplicity: Lift Someone Up

Bravely Onward