Pack Light


I've done a lot of traveling so far this year and thus, a lot of packing. While I am great at organizing what to pack, it seems that I always put way too much in the old suitcase. What if it rains? I'll need a jacket. What if it gets cool in the evening? I'll need a sweater. What if the Queen of England stops by the hotel to invite us to tea? Better take a ballgown and tiara!

When returning from a mother/daughter trip to Savannah, GA this spring, I twisted my wrist and dropped a heavy bag on my toe. At the same time. Yes, grace and beauty in motion! I still have the bruise to prove it. This special event made me re-prioritize my packing strategy. Maybe I don't need to pack everything in my closet after all.

1 Timothy 6:7 (KJV)
7 For we brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out.


The Lord's disciples were instructed to carry "neither purse, nor scrip, nor shoes" on their journeys. With all the new TSA regulations, and airlines charging $25 each way to check a bag, maybe we should all take a second look at what we're taking on our trips.

I don't think that's what the Lord was talking about, exactly. He meant that this life is hard, and we shouldn't have a lot of heavy stuff to drag around. He was speaking of SIN. Those pile up fast, if we don't take care of them, and soon we are lugging around a backpack the size of a Buick!

When we pray for forgiveness right away, and check ourselves often, we are able to pack light and be ready to go at a moment's notice. Don't you just love spur of the moment trips? Be careful, don't let Satan convince you to haul along those extra six pairs of hiking boots!


Matthew 11:28-30 (KJV)
28 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.
30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.


***

Momala's Book Club Picks: I finished both books I was reading last week, and am halfway through a new one. The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society and I Capture the Castle are great books. Both are set in post-World War II England, and have young women as the protagonist. I recommend both books. They are available on Amazon. Also, I used Psalms For Surgery by Curtis Dean Hall before, during and after my surgery. What a wonderful healing tool! I was much less stressed leading up to the surgery and afterward it has helped me to relax and rest in the Lord's promises. A MUST for anyone facing surgery. Available at Amazon, too.

***

Female in Motion Exercise Update: I am still unable to exercise this week. My post-surgical doctor's appointment will be on Friday, when he will hopefully allow me to return to my regular activities. I really do miss exercise, although not that annoying Richard Simmons! The scale shows I have lost more weight, too. I'm down to 180 pounds.

***

Notable Quote:

"When preparing to travel, lay out all your clothes and all your money. Then take half the clothes and twice the money."--Susan Heller

Comments

Viv said…
Please pray for me, Carol. I need a very similar surgery, but no job and no insurance make it tough. I know a way will be shown. Glad you're feeling better.
God bless you, Robin! I will keep you in my daily prayers that God will make a way. Hang in there!

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Your Neighbor

Summer of Simplicity: Lift Someone Up

Bravely Onward