Your House is on Fire

The Hubster teaches the adult Sunday School class at our church, and yesterday he related an interesting story I had never heard before. Kind of funny, because when you're married to someone for nigh on to 30 years, you pretty much hear them all. This one was new...or rather old...and it stuck in my heart.

When he was a teenager, The Hubster and one of his friends were driving through Winfield one evening. As he drove down a dirt road on the edge of town, they passed a large, two-story home. Just after they passed, The Hubster's friend looked back and exclaimed, "Look, that house is on fire!" Indeed, the entire back side of the home was engulfed in flames.

The two teens whipped around and pulled into the driveway. While The Hubster pounded on the front door, his friend rattled the window. They could see the family gathered in the living room, watching television, unaware of the inferno in the other room. The boys pounded harder, shouting now: "Fire! Fire!"

When the father came to the front door, he didn't believe them. He shut the door in their faces. The Hubster caught a glimpse of an infant toddling its way toward the kitchen, now filled with fire and smoke. He pounded on the door and screamed even louder. As the father came back to the door, The Hubster simply pointed toward the baby. The family finally believed.

This story made me think, how could they be so unaware? Weren't they paying attention? How about me? Am I aware of my surroundings? Do I know what's going on? Is my house on fire?

Think this over: God is pounding on the door of your heart, screaming for you to pay attention to Him. Will you answer the door?

***

I want to say a big "PRAISE THE LORD" because my dear friend, Roger Dunn, pastor of Calvary Baptist Church, Perry, OK, just found out that he is now cancer-free! He and his wife, Kathy, are wonderful old friends, and I am so grateful to God for this good news. There were a lot of people praying for them, and it's true, God still answers prayers.

***

Female in Motion Exercise Update: I did three aerobic workouts last week. When I did my monthly weigh-in this morning, I found I have lost two more pounds. Down to 185. Hooray!

***

Notable Quote:

"to be nobody but yourself in a world that's doing its best to make you somebody else is to fight the hardest battle you are ever going to fight. never stop fighting."--e. e. cummings

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Your Neighbor

Summer of Simplicity: Lift Someone Up

Bravely Onward