Scrub Your Worries Away

Have you ever noticed how getting down on your hands and knees and scrubbing a floor really makes you feel better? I had a few worries that I was working on this morning, and couldn't concentrate on my work. What's the first thing I do?

1. Cry
2. Eat
3. Pray
4. Clean something.

Okay, I know my priorities are completely out of whack. It should be: pray and clean and then there would be no need to cry or eat. But alas, I am human. And so I cried, then ate, then prayed and then scrubbed the life out of the kitchen linoleum. After that aerobic workout, I felt good and tired and took time out to pray again. I had a much clearer head then.

As a woman, I think I have problems sorting out all the emotions I feel. Sometimes they get all in a jumble and knotted up. That's when the urge to scrub strikes hard. There's just something peaceful about a dirty floor, a brush and hot, soapy water. Two of the emotions that were left in that kitchen were frustration and anger. I didn't even realize they were there, until they were gone. Good thing, too.

Matthew 11:28 (KJV)
"Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest."


This verse gives me a lot of comfort. I know that all my labors are not in vain. That God sees everything I'm going through, and will give me peace if I ask Him for it. (And next time, I'm getting dirt-colored linoleum!)

***

Momala's Book Club Pick: I just finished "Gloria Won," a heartfelt book by my dear friend, Danice Sweet, veteran author and local art teacher. This compelling story retells the author's mother's journey through the horrors of ALS (Lou Gehrig's Disease). A CD of beautiful hymns, by Danice, a gifted musician, are included in the volume. This book is available at Willow Fashion in Arkansas City or at www.amazon.com for $20.48 in paperback.

***

Female in Motion Exercise Update: I did four aerobic workouts last week. My days were very busy, with lots of activity and travel, so the exercise helped me to be at my best.

***

Notable Quote:

"My idea of superwoman is someone who scrubs her own floors."--Bette Midler, actor

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Your Neighbor

Summer of Simplicity: Lift Someone Up

Bravely Onward