Mixed Media Melange

January in Kansas is typically a dreary and long month, punctuated by bouts of ice, freezing drizzle and snowfalls. Last week, however, we were treated to temperatures in the 50s and 60s, accented by sunny skies. A lovely respite, I must say. The Hubster and I took advantage of this hiatus and kicked up our heels in the big city.

On Thursday evening, after a trip to visit his doctor, The Hubster and I dined on Mexican fare at Jose Peppers. I had the Pollo Magnifico, which was basically a chicken chimichanga, drowned by a jalapeno cream cheese sauce. Decadent! The Hubster had his usual pork tamales, which were spicy and good. Both our plates had plenty left on them when we were done eating, so doggy bags were in order.

We followed that up with a movie at the Warren Theater. "True Grit" is a film we had been promising ourselves to see before it left theaters. We were not disappointed. This Coen Brothers'-led tale starred Jeff Bridges, Matt Damon and newcomer Hailee Steinfeld. Yes, I realize that the John Wayne version is a classic, which I have enjoyed several times. The new version is simply a different look at the book. I found it so compelling that I have been daydreaming about scenes from the film. Can't wait to see it on Netflix! Rated PG-13 for its frank portrayal of Wild West life, don't let the kids see this one. Also, there is a scene with several cranky rattlesnakes for those of you (me!) who don't care for the boogers! I give "True Grit" four and a half out of five stars.

***

Netflix Video Pick of the Week: We watched "Toy Story 3" last weekend. I know, we're grownups, but if you haven't seen this movie, you should. It has been nominated for Best Picture category in the Oscars, and rightly so. What a simple, beautiful story to complete this series. Round up the family, pop some popcorn and snuggle up to watch this together. Five out of five stars. Perfection!

***

Momala's Book Club Pick of the Week: You must read "Being Dead is No Excuse: The Official Southern Ladies Guide to Hosting the Perfect Funeral" by Gayden Metcalfe and Charlotte Hays. I haven't laughed out load while reading in a long time. This book made me chuckle, chortle and plain-out snort over its tongue-in-cheek views on throwing the perfect Southern funeral. This official manual for the kin of the dearly departed is part cookbook, part satire. No matter if you're Southern or not, you will enjoy this romp through the do's and don't evers of putting out the perfect spread. A quick and fun read. The book is available through Amazon.com for $21.99. Four out of five stars.

***

Female in Motion Exercise Update: I did four aerobic workouts last week. I'm still working off the three pounds I gained over the holidays. Slowly but surely, it's coming off!

***

Notable Quote:

"The length of a film should be directly related to the endurance of the human bladder."--Alfred Hitchcock

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Your Neighbor

Summer of Simplicity: Lift Someone Up

Bravely Onward