Everybody Wants to Rule the World

"It's a pretty good zoo," said young Gerald McGrew, "and the fellow who runs it seems proud of it, too. But if I ran the zoo,” said young Gerald McGrew, “I’d make a few changes. That’s just what I’d do.”--from "If I Ran the Zoo," by Dr. Seuss.

I've had a few things to be in charge of, being a mom and running a household. Add in a few school and church projects and you've got the picture. I take a lot of pride in doing things well and keeping my house tidy. Wait a minute...who am I kidding? I am a control freak! I like to have things done just so, put away right and cleaned one way only.

Living life as a Christ-follower, I know I must submit my life to His will. So how do I reconcile my controlling ways? I catch myself thinking, "I'll handle this one, God. Don't bother yourself over it." How audacious! This is dangerous thinking!

Proverbs 28:26 (KJV)
"He that trusteth in his own heart is a fool: but whoso walketh wisely, he shall be delivered."

I must get out of God's way. He can handle my life's problems a lot better than I ever thought I could. He may even have some better ideas.(Ahem) I must release my controlling grip and let God steer the ship of my life. Besides, when I hold things that tight, they usually slip right through my grasp.

Now, I bring my controlling problem before the Lord. I have asked Him to forgive me and release me from this burden. It didn't happen all at once, so I have made a multitude of trips to His throne. It's not because of a shortage of His grace, it's a shortage of my faith. I'm a work-in-progress!


***

Momala's Book Club Pick: I completed my first ebook last weekend. "In the Company of Others: A Father Tim Novel" by Jan Karon was a fun and cultural trip to County Sligo, Ireland for Father Tim and his bonny wife, Cynthia. What was planned as a birthday gift to his wife, a vacation to Ireland turns into a mission field for the retirement-aged couple. This Christian fiction book by veteran author Karon is lush with loads of Irish history and verdant countryside. A little mystery thrown in, and the book is well-worth reading. Four out of five stars. Available at www.amazon.com in paperback, hardback and Kindle.

***

Female in Motion Exercise Update: I did four aerobic workouts last week, including one on Friday, which The Hubster witnessed. He always gets a chuckle out of watching me huff and puff in front of the TV.

***

Notable Quote:

"I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality.... I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word."--Martin Luther King, Jr. (Happy MLK Day, readers!)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Your Neighbor

Summer of Simplicity: Lift Someone Up

Bravely Onward