Traveling in Style



I took quite a little road trip on Saturday. First, I was up at 6 a.m. and on the road by 7:15. That is completely out of character for me, because I am NOT a morning person. I had motivation, however. The Fall meeting of the Kansas Authors Club District #3 was in Coffeyville on Saturday, and I wanted to be there.

Being a member of one of the oldest and most prestigious writers groups in America is a privilege I don't take lightly. This district only meets twice per year, so I make an extra effort to attend. Besides, our group is hosting the State Convention in Fall 2011, so we need to get organized. We discussed fund-raising efforts, the convention and writing projects, then enjoyed a tasty potluck lunch.

That was only half of my day, though. I arrived home around 2 p.m., and by 3:30 The Hubster and I were back on the road to Wichita. After a quick stop in Derby to pick up my mom, we were ready for The Hubster's birthday party at Kanai Restaurant in west Wichita. Our daughter, Sarah, and her fiance, Derek, met us there. Kanai is the best sushi place in Wichita, in their expert opinion, so we definitely wanted to try it.

Not everyone is a sushi lover. It's absolutely an acquired taste. I will admit that I don't care much for fish, so I was skeptical. I found Kanai's fare to be fresh, colorful and very good. I'm so glad I gave sushi a try. Trying new things is important, especially as we age. How else are we going to scratch things off our bucket lists?

All that time on the road reminded me of a childhood dream I have long since given up. As a kid, I read a book about a family of four that spent a year in an RV, traveling across the United States and having lots of adventures. Later, my family went to the Sport, Boat and Travel Show at Century II in Wichita. I wandered through trailer after trailer, fifth-wheel, pop-up and self-contained. I was hooked.

No matter how much I whined, my folks never did buy an RV. That is, until I left. The minute the last kid moved out, my folks started an antique car parts business, purchased a trailer and spent several years traveling the U.S. And not once did they invite me to tag along. How rude!

Anyway, The Hubster and I never purchased an RV, either. And we didn't spend a year traveling the country with our daughters. They would have hated it. But maybe someday we will make a big road trip. We've kicked around the idea of Route 66 out to California, then do Highway 1 all the way to Monterey. If we do, I'll be sure to post pictures.

***

Female in Motion Exercise Update: I did four aerobic workouts last week. I am no longer wheezing at the end of each routine, so I upped my time by one more song. That's an extra five minutes and I'm slowly building up the endurance.

***

Notable Quote:

"An author is a fool who, not content with boring those he lives with, insists on boring future generations."--Charles de Montesquieu (1689-1755) Thanks, H.B.!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Your Neighbor

Summer of Simplicity: Lift Someone Up

Bravely Onward