Small(er) Victory

As I write, I am wearing a pair of St. John's Bay misses size 16 jeans, with the zipper and button done! They said it couldn't be done...but I did it. I guess all those weeks of aerobic workouts are paying off. In the last few months, I have lost five more pounds. Not a moment too soon, either, my high school class reunion is coming up!

***

I did something kind of gutsy on Saturday, or maybe just dumb. I attended the Kansas Writers Association's monthly meeting in Wichita, and read the first two pages of my novel-in-progress to a critique group. The experience was humbling (some people's work was more polished, mature, better), scary (it was the first time anyone besides The Hubster heard it), but ultimately helpful.

People in my group gave me some great ideas for the opening, so I set about to implement some of these on Sunday afternoon, after church. However, I had a nasty migraine, so my brain was pretty much cornmeal mush. I did get some thoughts on the page, and hope to work on more this week. If you have a hobby you're passionate about, find a support group and go! I really appreciate the respect I receive there.

***

In the past few years, I have been learning how to be the mother of two grown daughters. Believe me, it's a work-in-progress. I was a very hands-on, smother mother. I poured everything I had and everything I was into my kids. Today, I'm learning how to be myself and how to have an adult relationship with my girls.

One good example I have is my own mother. She has been so patient and loving with me. She walks a fine line between encouraging, but not constantly advising me. I'm going to keep working on this, until my daughters can come to me for fun and companionship, as well as "mothering."

***

Female in Motion Exercise Update: I did four disco aerobic workouts last week. Also, I got crazy and stepped on the bathroom scale. To my total surprise, I had lost an additional three pounds. Well, all right!

***

Notable Quote:

"Writing a book is a horrible, exhausting struggle, like a long bout of some
painful illness. One would never undertake such a thing if one were not
driven on by some demon whom one can neither resist nor understand."--George Orwell, "Why I Write," 1947 (Thanks, H.B.!)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Your Neighbor

Summer of Simplicity: Lift Someone Up

Bravely Onward