Ring-a-Ding




Some things are given. When you get married, you get a ring. If you take care of it, it lasts a lifetime. (And so, hopefully, will the marriage!) Well, The Hubster and I are going strong at 29 years and counting, but the ring...not so much.

About a month ago, my wedding ring broke. Two days later, it broke again. I took it in to my favorite jeweler, Luke Schmidt, and he related the sad news. It was terminal. He could maybe mend the ring, but it would never be as strong as it was before, and it would cost much more to repair than the ring was worth. Hmmm.

The Hubster and I put our heads together and thought and prayed on it. We decided that perhaps now was a good time to "upgrade." Walking in to Schmidt Jewelers and sitting in the "engaged" seats was pretty surreal. Luke and Blanche were lovely, as usual. No pressure at all, just good customer service. These folks are not just our jewelers, they are friends. They know our personalities and preferences.

Luke knew I wasn't a girlie-girl, so he picked out some simple sets for us to look over. After examining all our options, we picked a simple white gold set and opted to drop my existing diamond into the new set. The Hubster had surprised me with a new diamond in January, 2001. Since my new wedding set was white gold (to match my ever-whitening hair), we purchased a matching band for The Hubster, too.

If you see a white-haired couple walking down an Ark City street hand-in-hand with brand new, sparkling wedding rings, honk and wave...it's us! Getting new rings wasn't something we had in mind, but God likes to surprise us once in a while. By the way, Luke said in 30 more years we can come back and get another new set. We just might take him up on it.

***

The Cowley County Writers Guild will meet from 6:30 p.m. to 8 p.m. at the Ark City Public Library this Thursday, August 19, 2010. Everyone who is interested in writing is welcome to come. You don't have to be published. Our members are teens to seniors, so everyone is invited. This month, we will be talking about productivity(and the lack, thereof), and carving time out of every day or week to write.

***

My daughter and son-in-law, Rachel and Drew, are moving to The Big D tomorrow. Have a safe trip, dudes! We're so proud of you! If you know them and want their new address, please contact me.

***

Female in Motion Exercise Update: I did four aerobic workouts last week. My daughters are hanging their heads in shame. They found out that I own a Richard Simmons DVD. Their fat momma is sweatin' to the oldies!

***

Notable Quote:

Acts 3:1-6 (KJV)
1 Now Peter and John went up together into the temple at the hour of prayer, being the ninth hour.
2 And a certain man lame from his mother's womb was carried, whom they laid daily at the gate of the temple which is called Beautiful, to ask alms of them that entered into the temple;
3 Who seeing Peter and John about to go into the temple asked an alms.
4 And Peter, fastening his eyes upon him with John, said, Look on us.
5 And he gave heed unto them, expecting to receive something of them.
6 Then Peter said, Silver and gold have I none; but such as I have give I thee: In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth rise up and walk.

Comments

Me said…
Great entry hon. XOXO

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Your Neighbor

Summer of Simplicity: Lift Someone Up

Bravely Onward