Even So




For well over a year, I have been faithfully reading a daily blog by Holley Gerth, a writer for Dayspring Cards. "Heart to Heart with Holley" is a devotional diary, but so much more. She just "gets" me. It's like she's crawling around inside my head. Oh, my, that's a scary thought!

Today's blog entry from Holley was delving into the subject of overcoming obstacles. She says, "...the biggest challenge has been the voice inside my head. It's the one that says, 'You can never do this, This is in the way. That won't ever change.'" As she was praying one night, Holley asked God, "What do I say instead?" (to silence the negative voices in her head). The author says the answer was clear. Even so.

That set me thinking. I have battled negative voices in my mind since I was young. They began outside from another, but I picked up the mantra and continued to batter myself with insults. My favorites were "you're not good enough" and "nobody likes you anyway." After a lot of prayer and counseling and soul-searching, those thoughts are fading.

I'm halfway through reading a book called "So Long, Insecurity" by Beth Moore. She theorizes that the majority of women struggle with self-worth at least some point in their lives. Insecurity is a very private problem. It's not something you discuss with friends over coffee or at a church social. But maybe that's a mistake. Maybe we should be talking about it openly and candidly.

Those negative thoughts return once in a while. I have learned to ask myself, "Is this the truth? Is it based in reality?" Now, I will include, "Even so." Yes, I'm a mess on my own. Good thing that God is good and loves me wildly, despite my many(!) faults.

***

My 30th high school class reunion is this weekend. The Hubster and I will be attending and I will present a full report (with photos) next week. Fun!

***

Female in Motion Exercise Update: I did four disco aerobic workouts last week and a passel of heavy-duty housework. I lost one more pound, as well.

***

Painting is by Birgit Huttemann-Holz, 2008, and is entitled Silent Poetry.

***

Notable Quote:

Deuteronomy 28:1-2 (KJV)
"And it shall come to pass, if thou shalt hearken diligently unto the voice of the LORD thy God, to observe and to do all his commandments which I command thee this day, that the LORD thy God will set thee on high above all nations of the earth:
2 And all these blessings shall come on thee, and overtake thee, if thou shalt hearken unto the voice of the LORD thy God."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Your Neighbor

Summer of Simplicity: Lift Someone Up

Bravely Onward