Putting My Feet Up


The Hubster gave me the most romantic Valentine's Day gift. "Slippers?" you say. "Romantic?" Yessir! My feet have been really cold this winter, and my old slippers bit the dust right after Christmas. Tennis shoes just aren't warm enough. When he saw me wearing my snow boots around the house, he realized something had to be done. These new slippers are perfection. Sheepskin on the outside, sherpa lining. Ah!

***

The fact that The Hubster gave me toasty slippers and a mushy love note for Valentine's Day is even more impressive when you know that he has the flu and strep throat. Yes, even when he's sick...he's thoughtful. And no, you can't have him. I'm just getting him broken in!

***

B.D. Tharp (writer friend) posed an interesting question on Facebook last week. She asked, "Where is your favorite place to read/write?" I pondered on this for a while. When I was a kid, I spent hours in the closet of my bedroom. All right, no jokes! I would push all the shoes out, lay down a blanket and pillow and even plug in a small lamp. Then I would sit for hours and read and read and write in my journal. I kept a journal from age 6 or so.

I never realized what a luxury that was. Whiling away an afternoon by reading and writing down your thoughts without consideration to household chores or work is bestowed only on children, who really can't fully appreciate it! Now I try to fit in a few minutes here and there in my busy day to read a page or two of a book, or write a few notes on a story idea. Youth is wasted on the young, indeed!

By the way, my friend B.D. Tharp's new hen-lit novel, "Feisty Family Values," is releasing this Wednesday, Feb. 17. Don't forget to order a copy from Amazon.com, or pick it up at Barnes and Noble. It's getting great reviews.

***

The February meeting of Cowley County Writers Guild is at 6:30 p.m. Thursday, Feb. 18 at the Ark City Public Library. Make an effort to attend this one. Grant Williams, Ark City's poet laureate, will be leading a special poetry workshop. Bring paper, pen and a lot of creativity.

***

Exercise Update: I did two aerobic workouts last week. I'm also trying to double up on arm-weight calisthenics. In total, I did seven sets, sometimes two per day, with 20 repetitions.

***

Notable Quote:

1 Tim. 4:12 (KJV)
Let no man despise thy youth; but be thou an example of the believers, in word, in conversation, in charity, in spirit, in faith, in purity.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Your Neighbor

Summer of Simplicity: Lift Someone Up

Bravely Onward