Lord, Give Me Strength(s)!

I am reading a new book, and the information contained in it has been quite a revelation to me. It is "Now, Discover Your Strengths," by Marcus Buckingham and Donald Clifton. This non-fiction business book is a publication of the Gallup Organization, but is not a stuffy executive manual. It's just a great way to find out why you do what you do and why others do what they do, too!

When you buy a copy of this book, it comes with a secret code (fun!). The code allows you to access an online personality test that will help you discover your key strengths. Revealing what makes you tick helps you to channel energies and make sense out of your work and life style. Once you complete the profile, you will receive your five dominant themes and strategy on how to translate these into personal and career success.

My strengths are: Input, Discipline, Developer, Belief and Context. Input means I am inquisitive. Yeah, who would've guessed? I always have to know everything. Collecting information is a habit for me. The Discipline theme denotes that I am an orderly, tidy person. I like to make lists and have a schedule.

Because I often discern the potential in others, I have a Developer strength. Working with others and helping them grow a skill or talent really makes me feel fulfilled. The Belief trait means that I have core values that give my life meaning. Like God? Yep! Me and Jesus have a good thing going.

The final dominant personality theme I have is Context. I look back and use history to gain insight into current problems or situations. Better decisions can be made because I recall the genesis of an idea or theory. Just think about how irritating it will be to have a conversation with me when I'm elderly!

I believe by simply knowing and acknowledging these traits, I can learn to "accentuate the positive" in my life and recognize in others their themes and motivations. This will be a great tool for writing, as well. When working up character profiles, I need to learn what are their driving forces. Giving characters quirky habits might be fun!

***

Momala's Netflix Movie Pick: "Night at the Museum 2: Battle of the Smithsonian," was the movie The Hubster and I watched last weekend. We saw both the original and the sequel in the theater. Okay, we're kids at heart! This film is rated PG and stars Ben Stiller, Amy Adams and Hank Azaria as the evil, albeit kooky Kahmunrah. I rate this movie four out of five stars.

***

Exercise Update: I did three hand-weight calisthenic sets and two aerobic workouts. I also spent Saturday afternoon shoveling sidewalks until a nice neighbor came and helped me.

***

Notable Quote:

James 1:17 (KJV)
"Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Your Neighbor

Summer of Simplicity: Lift Someone Up

Bravely Onward