Happy Birthday to Me!


Here's the old lady at 48! Nah, really I'm happy to have another birthday. I am incredibly, profoundly grateful for the life God has given me. He gave me life, a great family, warm and safe home, great church family, meaningful work and a fun new hobby. He also saved my life from cancer 22 years ago. I am blessed!

***

"The Robin's Return" was a song my mom played a lot while I was growing up. She could play just about anything on the piano, and us kids would gather around and sing and cut up. This past week, despite the hinky weather, I've noticed lots of well-fed robins hopping around. They have returned to Ark City from their winter vacations and are ready to chow down on some fattened up worms. Let's hope Spring follows the robins to town real soon!

***

Cowley County Writers Guild met last Thursday night and we had a blast! I got to try writing a real haiku poem, coached by Grant Williams, Ark City's Poet Laureate. We also got a primer on the many types of poetry. Who knew that poems were all about rhythm? And me with no tap shoes?!

***

Pastor Charles Whaley brought a really neat sermon yesterday about scars. Particularly, the scars of Christ. After His resurrection, Christ appeared to His disciples and showed them the scars in His hands, feet and side. Pastor Whaley drew the connection between Christ's hands, feet and side(heart), and our hands, feet and hearts. We should be using our hands to do Christ's work on earth, moving our feet to work for others, and sharing our hearts for Christ with others. Cool!

***

Momala's Book Club: I am reading "Buffalo Girls" by Larry McMurtry. It was the Book Talk Series book this month at the public library and I am just now finishing the book. It's a really neat novel about the life of Calamity Jane.

For my birthday, The Hubster gave me "Boo Humbug" by Rene Gutteridge, "So Long, Insecurity" by Beth Moore and a John Steinbeck collection, including "The Moon is Down," "Cannery Row," "The Pearl," and "East of Eden." Let me know if you want to borrow any of them.

***

Notable Quote:

"The thing that is really hard, and really amazing, is giving up on being perfect and beginning the work of becoming yourself."--Anna Quindlen, Pulitzer Prize-winning author and journalist.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Your Neighbor

Summer of Simplicity: Lift Someone Up

Bravely Onward