A Capitol Idea!

I visited Topeka last weekend. A friend who knows me well asked if I was going to "storm the Capitol." Sounded like a good idea, but I had other plans.

The Capitol Plaza Hotel was the site for the Kansas Authors Club annual convention. As a new member, I was excited to attend this large and historic event. Did you know that the KAC was founded in 1904 and counts several Kansas governors and William Allen White as members? I can't believe a fancy club like that would accept ME as a member!

This was a very large event, with several hundred creative maniacs taking over the unsuspecting hotel. We held meetings, attended workshops, handed out awards, ate like pigs and did "readarounds." For the uninitiated, a readaround is when a bunch of writers get together in one room and read our stuff to each other, closely followed by supportive and sometimes amusing commentary.

I met some really cool writers and heard some excellent, helpful speeches. Now, if I can only put some of their sage wisdom to work for me. There is a stack of books, notes, business cards and a large list of websites on my desk that I need to wade through and categorize. I think I'll make three piles: keep for the future, check it out right now, and this may help me write the next Great American Novel. Ha!

***

The Hubster had minor surgery this morning in Wichita. When you say the words "nasal surgery," people get the most horrified look on their faces. It really wasn't that bad, though. (Said the woman who didn't have to do it!) He was out of surgery in 15 minutes and home by noon, thanks to a lot of prayers from our church and family. Now he's taking it easy in the easy chair, sporting a bandage that bears a striking resemblance to a jaunty pencil mustache. He wouldn't let me post a photo. Darn that man!

***

Momala's Book Club Pick: I finished "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil," by John Berendt last week. This is an older book (1999) that everyone has already read, except for me. Somehow, I missed it. It is an unusual book, all the way around. It is not exactly a novel, but not exactly a biography, either. The subject matter is not exactly erotic, but is not exactly a kid's book, either. The writing, however, is really tight and lively. The characters seemed to be so believable and three-dimensional. For adults only, but I'd give it a three stars out of five.

***

Exercise Update: The very busy Carol managed to squeeze in two aerobic workouts with metabolism boosting sets and two sets of hand weight calisthenics. Whoosh!

Notable Quote:

"I wouldn't want to be in a club that would take me as a member."--Groucho Marx

"The word aerobics came about when the gym instructors got together and said, 'If we're going to charge $10 an hour, we can't call it jumping up and down.'"--Rita Rudner

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Your Neighbor

Summer of Simplicity: Lift Someone Up

Bravely Onward