Happy New Year!

The Hubster and I welcomed 2009 in the usual way. We went to our regular Wednesday night Bible study, came home, had a snack and watched an old movie. Wild stuff! That's life on the edge in good old Ark City!

***

I spent New Year's Day with my mom. We had a lot of fun, even if we were doing a whole lot of work. I'm a bit of a grinch, and don't put up a lot of Christmas decorations. My mom, however, is a completely different sort. She decorates every room in the house: bedrooms, bathrooms, and the front and back yards! Mom has many beautiful holiday items, collected over the years, and it would be a shame to keep them put away.

My siblings helped Mom put up the Christmas finery this year, so it was my turn to help her get it all boxed back up for next year's celebration. Mom is a really organized person (yes, that's where I get it from!), so the whole day went smoothly. Plus, she cooked a yummy lunch and we talked incessantly. Mom and I always laugh at how we never have anything to talk about! It was a great way to start the new year.

***

On Sunday afternoon, The Hubster roasted a chicken and we watched a classic film, "An Affair to Remember." If you're too young to know about it, perhaps you've heard of "Sleepless in Seattle?" They reference "Affair" quite heavily. This romantic movie stars the equally wonderful Cary Grant and Deborah Kerr. They meet on a trans-Atlantic cruise, both previously engaged, and fall in love.

Of course, it can't end happily after that! They separate once the boat docks, promising to meet in a year, if they still feel the same, on the rooftop of the Empire State Building. That's when complications arise and you have to break out the big box of Kleenex! Don't worry, though, it has a happy ending! If you have Netflix, make sure to add it to your queue.

***

I ended the old year and began the new one doing my regular workouts. I did only three workouts last week, but I consider the day of helping Mom as exercise, too. I don't make New Year's Resolutions; I find them self-defeating and guilt-producing. Instead, I will continue to exercise and eat right and not beat myself up when I don't.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Your Neighbor

Summer of Simplicity: Lift Someone Up

Bravely Onward