Count Your Blessings

Happy Thanksgiving, everybody! I hope you all have a really great weekend. Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday of the year. Great food, and no hubbub over gifts! The best part of the day has got to be the family getting together...stuffing our faces, watching movies and maybe the Macy's parade. I'm a sucker for those huge balloons.

Our daughters, Sarah and Rachel, and Rachel's boyfriend, Drew, will be coming down on Thursday to partake of the traditional bird dinner with all the goodies. Rachel will be making her famous cranberry salad. She makes it every year, and it's delicious! Let me know if you want the recipe. The menu includes three appetizers, turkey with six side dishes and a choice of chocolate torte or pumpkin cake.

The Hubster and I always divvy up the cooking duties. He's the executive chef in the house and I'm the sous chef. I do appetizers, a couple of sides and the chocolate torte. The Hubster was trained as a cook in the Navy, and he comes from a long line of great cooks. All the food this year will be low fat and gluten-free, except for the dressing.

Sarah, Rachel and The Hubster all have celiac disease, which means their bodies don't tolerate gluten found in wheat, rye, barley and spelt. Because they are all great cooks, however, they have found ingenious ways to get around that. Research on the internet has allowed them to find the very best products and recipes. How can they stand not eating burgers and sandwiches? It's better than having a bellyache every day!

I love Thanksgiving because it gives me a chance to take a moment to thank God for all my blessings. Man, He spoils me! I try to remember to be thankful every day in my prayers, but it sure is nice to have a day to really concentrate on them. My family is all healthy and (mostly) happy, and we have all our needs and most of our wants met. Of course, I wouldn't turn down a million dollars and a villa in southern Italy!

A big blessing last week was that although Drew and Rachel hit a deer on 166 highway, neither was injured and the car wasn't damaged too badly. We are so grateful! It was a bit of a scare. Be careful out there at night, drivers! The highways are full of horny deer!

I want to give a big Standing "O" to Jessica Coldwell, who wowed everyone who saw the play "Oklahoma!" at Ark City High School last weekend. She stole the show as Aunt Eller. Next stop...Broadway. Count on it. This kid has the goods!

Don't forget to make time to exercise this week. It will help burn off some of those extra turkey calories. Gobble, gobble!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Your Neighbor

Summer of Simplicity: Lift Someone Up

Bravely Onward