Pick Your Poison

"Anger is an acid that can do more harm to the vessel in which it is stored than to anything on which it is poured."--Mark Twain

Last week, as they laid former President George H.W. Bush to rest, his dear friend, former Senator Alan Simpson, gave the eulogy. The gentleman from Wyoming told of something #41 told him once.

"He never hated anyone," Sen. Simpson said of President Bush. "He knew what his mother and my mother always knew: Hatred corrodes the container it's carried in."

My own experience with bitterness reveals that it pins you in place. No forward progress or growth is possible as long as the unfinished business of anger lingers in your life.

Further, I've discovered that when I practice the hard work of forgiveness, it allows me to move my focus where it belongs--serving God and helping people.

The gift of forgiveness doesn't benefit the one who wronged you, but rather the gift is for you. Believe me, you want this gift.

Don't let this wreck your life. So not worth it.

***

Notable Quote:

Matthew 6:14-15 (KJV)
For if ye forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you: But if ye forgive not men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Your Neighbor

Summer of Simplicity: Lift Someone Up

Bravely Onward