Bad Moves

2 Samuel 6:7 (KJV) And the anger of the LORD was kindled against Uzzah; and God smote him there for his error; and there he died by the ark of God.


One of the Bible's hardest lessons is found in 2nd Samuel 6. In this account, King David had ordered a new cart to be built to carry the Ark of the Covenant to its new home. While it was being moved, the cart jostled and a servant of David named Uzzah reached out his hand to steady the load. He was instantly struck dead by God.

When I was a young Christian, this story was a tough one. I couldn't understand why God would be so harsh. Uzzah was only trying to help. His motives were right--but his moves were wrong.

Doing the wrong thing is never a good idea. This makes me think of the times I have done something "for God" or "for the Church," when really it was to make myself look or feel better. How would I feel if I realized that our Father was trying to make a miracle and I got in the way?!

Uzzah got between God and a miracle.

I need to ask myself, can I handle this situation better than God? Nope.

***

Notable Quote:

The only correct actions are those that demand no explanation and no apology. ~Red Auerbach

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Your Neighbor

Summer of Simplicity: Lift Someone Up

Bravely Onward