Me and Bob Marley

He was a legendary reggae singer and political activist. I am a Midwestern small-town blogger chick and church lady. What could we possibly have in common?

Skin cancer.

Melanoma took Bob Marley's life when he was just 36 years old.

I was diagnosed with melanoma at age 25, a mere week after I gave birth to my second child.
People who are fair-skinned and freckled are most likely to get skin cancer, but everyone is at risk. Although there are really no symptoms, melanoma presents as a mole that changes color, shape or size.

According to skincancer.org, "One person dies of melanoma every hour (every 54 minutes). An estimated 87,110 new cases of invasive melanoma will be diagnosed in the U.S. in 2017. An estimated 9,730 people will die of melanoma in 2017. Melanoma accounts for less than one percent of skin cancer cases, but the vast majority of skin cancer deaths."

Celebrities who have battled melanoma are: President Jimmy Carter, Senator John McCain,  actor Burgess Meredith and Dallas Cowboys quarterback Troy Aikman.
This month, it will be 30 years since I was diagnosed. I see my dermatologist every summer, limit my sun exposure, check my skin monthly, and use sunscreen daily. There has been no recurrence.

For more information, check out this link from the American Cancer Society.

***

Notable Quote:

"The only disability in life is a bad attitude."--Scott Hamilton

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Your Neighbor

Summer of Simplicity: Lift Someone Up

Bravely Onward