Listen Up!

Me and my big mouth. It gets me in trouble sometimes. It gets me noticed sometimes. I usually have a lot to say. Even in prayer, I can get pretty chatty. There are times, though, when it is vital for me to hush and listen carefully to what God is trying to tell me. He's the Teacher, and I need to be quiet in the classroom.

I had a teacher in high school that made an important point about listening one day. He distributed a three-page essay-only test, and then proceeded to tell us to ignore all the written instructions and only write our name and the date at the top of the page and hand it in. Some students worked the full hour, sweating over the entire examination, but those of us who were listening to his instructions were done in mere seconds.

When I'm having a conversation, am I just waiting for the other person to shut up, so I can say something else, or am I really listening? When my ears are open, my mouth should be closed.

I need to be an active listener. Don't sit there, waiting for an answer. Keep doing good. Keep serving. Find a need and meet it. Stay in the Word and listen!

***

Female in Motion news: I told you a month ago about a challenge I was facing. Well, I can reveal now that I was a judge for the prestigious 25th Annual Kansas Voices writing contest, and will be attending the winner's banquet this Saturday night. It was an incredible honor and I'm thrilled to be attending this stellar event.

***

Notable Quote:

2 Chronicles 7:14 (KJV) If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Your Neighbor

Summer of Simplicity: Lift Someone Up

Bravely Onward