Why I Went (Very) Public With My Cancer Battle

A friend and I talked about our cancer journeys this evening. She's in the middle of hers; I'm nearing the finish line. We both said we feel a need to pay it forward and encourage others who are facing this life-changing illness.

I decided to go public with my cancer battle. Others are very private about their lives. You see, this is not my first bout with cancer. I survived skin cancer at age 25, with a husband, four-year-old and newborn. Cancer has taken several members of my family, too. I knew it was a matter of "when," not "if."

Here's my reasons for living out loud:

No secrets. Fear lives in the dark.
Sharing my faith is what I do.
I put it all in the blog. My whole life. I don't pick and choose from the pretty parts.
Christians' lives aren't perfect. Bad things happen to everyone.

Do I like calling attention to myself? Not really. I'm waving a flag for all cancer fighters. We're around you, and it doesn't take much to encourage us. A smile, hug or offer to help means so much.


I have a life philosophy: This is my body and I am in charge of it. I'm not turning my body over to all these doctors. I will know everything I can about my case and this disease, so I can fight with all my might! God and I together make a pretty awesome team.

***

I'm hitting a big milestone this week! Watch Female in Motion's Facebook fan page for details!

***

Female in Motion Exercise Update: I'm keeping up my PT exercises, three times daily. It's a long, slow process, and you know how much I love that sort of thing!

***

Notable Quote:


“You were born, not to be perfect, but to show the world the perfect plan of Christ.” –Duane Scott’s (blogger) mom

Comments

Unknown said…
Thank you for the inspiration, Carol. I've been struggling with some of that fear myself. "Fear lives in the dark." So true. Let the light shine in!
Amen, Ann! Thanks for reading and commenting. God bless you.
Carol, you are a true inspiration. Thank you for sharing your story.
Thanks for your comment, Sharon! I appreciate the support.

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Your Neighbor

Summer of Simplicity: Lift Someone Up

Bravely Onward