Parenting Grownups

Everybody Loves Raymond was a TV show about grown children and how they related to their over-involved parents.
"Stand back and watch me!" I declared to my mom. We were in the backyard of our home, and I was trying to perfect a daring swing set gymnastic maneuver. At nine years old, I thought Evel Knievel could learn things from me. It took a few tries, but I got the trick right, as Mom cheered.

When my daughters left home, I was happy for them. It was time to test the independence they had been practicing for the last 19 years. They are living their own lives.

I knew I would always be their mom, but the active phase of parenting was over. My new role is as trusted advisor. I'm not very good at parenting my adult daughters yet, but I'm learning.  I don't give advice unless they ask for it. Fixing every situation for them is not what they need. I watch how they handle it and cheer them on.

If my kids need to talk to me, I'm here. Sometimes, they do. When they don't, I don't take it personally. One lesson I have learned the hard way is, no matter how much I worry about them, I cannot change anything. So I gave them to God. He takes better care of them than I ever could.

Go after your lives, girls! I'm going to stand back and watch.

***

Female in Motion Exercise Update: I did four disco aerobic workouts last week. Today, I upped my workout time by three minutes. I want to very slowly and carefully increase my exercise to develop endurance. My workload is increasing this week, too, so please pray for me!

***

Notable Quote:

 Proverbs 4:1-4 (KJV)
Hear, ye children, the instruction of a father, and attend to know understanding. For I give you good doctrine, forsake ye not my law. For I was my father's son, tender and only beloved in the sight of my mother. He taught me also, and said unto me, Let thine heart retain my words: keep my commandments, and live.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Your Neighbor

Summer of Simplicity: Lift Someone Up

Bravely Onward