Empty Nest

Way back when I was a kid, my dad taught me how to ride a two-wheeler by holding on to the back of my bike, holding me steady as I pedaled down Farmington Drive.  After just a few falls and scrapes, I was on my own. Dad let go, and I sailed away.

What if Dad kept holding on and didn't let go? 

Would I have ever learned to ride a bike by myself?

It's inevitable, when you have kids. Eventually, they grow up and move out and you and your better half are left there...with an empty nest.

When you're there, in the trenches, diapering and carpooling and washing mountains of laundry, you imagine what it will be like. Mothers dream of sleeping late, bubble baths and endless date nights. Unlimited access to the family car, bathroom and TV are on dads' wish lists. The reality is a little different.

An empty nest is an adjustment. Initially, there is a bit of grief, or loss of purpose. I spent a month deep-cleaning the house to busy myself. The Hubster finally admitted just last week that he missed the girls a lot more than he had expected.  Changing gears from a "parent" identity to reclaiming my own priorities took some time.

We miss the giggles, shopping trips and even all the hubbub that our daughters brought to our home, but we treasure the new-found quiet abode, where afternoon napping is a must. I call my girls weekly, for a quick chat. The onus is on the parent, my mom says, to keep communication going.

Having an empty nest is an opportunity to reconnect with your spouse, establish a new relationship with your adult kids, find a new challenge/hobby/ministry or start a new chapter in the book of your life. It's the end of something, but it's a beautiful beginning, too. Take a breath, and step out into the new possibilities.

***

Female in Motion Health Update: I did four disco aerobic workouts last week, each one lasted 20 minutes. I surprised myself with how well I did, but my muscles sure did ache. I'll keep it up this week, and see how I do.

***

Notable Quote:

Proverbs 4:3 (KJV)
For I was my father's son, tender and only beloved in the sight of my mother.


Comments

Ginny Marie said…
Oh, I am dreading the empty nest! My daughters right now, however, are saying that they will live with us forever, and I hope that my husband and I give them a strong foundation for them to become independent someday. At 5 and 8, we have a lot of time yet! ;O)
I was dreading the empty nest, too, Ginny Marie! It's a big adjustment, but gets easier in time.

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Your Neighbor

Summer of Simplicity: Lift Someone Up

Bravely Onward