Respite: A Haven of Rest




It has been two months since my lumpectomy. I have enjoyed the respite. Spending my time working, exercising, writing, and living my life, I felt normal. Or as normal as you can feel after a cancer diagnosis. Only the occasional doctor's appointment, or a glimpse at my scars, reminds me of the battle. I needed this time to recover.

A respite is defined by Dictionary.com as "an interval of relief." The time between my surgery and today has been a haven of rest, an oasis of hope. In the last week, I have slept through my alarm every day. My body is demanding what my soul cries out for...rest. Yes, sleep, but also peace. I visited my mom last week. We spent the day talking and doing a small project. It was just what I needed.

The Hubster has helped so much. He encourages me to take it easy and makes sure that I laugh every day. We've watched old, funny movies several times a week. Having dinner with family and friends is a great way to relax. I walk outside in the morning, and feel the sun and wind on my skin.

In the Book of Exodus, there was a respite between each of the ten plagues sent by God to convince Pharaoh to let the children of Israel go.  After the crucifixion of Christ, there were three days of quiet until He was resurrected from the dead. Everyone needs some time to recharge their batteries. It might be a week's vacation or even an afternoon spent on the couch, reading a great novel.

Next week, I go to Cancer Treatment Centers of America in Zion, IL, for more surgery and the beginning of my radiation treatment. You see, they can do half of that procedure while I'm on the table. I'll be able to finish treatments in the Cancer Center in Winfield, KS. Close to home. I have a ways to go, before I can rest again, but I'll be fine once I'm close to home.

 ***

Female in Motion Exercise Update: I did three Wii yoga workouts and walked one mile last week. Although I took it easy as far as exercise, I have kept up my new healthier diet and have lost seven pounds in June.

***

Notable Quote:

Psalm 16:8-11 (KJV)
I have set the LORD always before me: because he is at my right hand, I shall not be moved. Therefore my heart is glad, and my glory rejoiceth: my flesh also shall rest in hope. For thou wilt not leave my soul in hell; neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption. Thou wilt shew me the path of life: in thy presence is fulness of joy; at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore.




Comments

Keep taking care of yourself! I hope the rest helps!
Www.summerjarviswrites.com
Thanks for the comment, Summer! Us Kansas girls have to stick together.--Carol

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Your Neighbor

Summer of Simplicity: Lift Someone Up

Bravely Onward