Insomnia



The old crooner, Bing Crosby, in the film White Christmas sang a sweet lullaby called, "Counting My Blessings." Yes, it's old fashioned, and a little bit trite...but true, all the same. Instead of worrying about all the things that are wrong, or could go wrong in your life, why not thank God for all the good stuff?

As a young wife and mother, I spent a lot of time late at night, trying to sleep. Seems like as soon as my head hit the pillow, it would spin with thoughts, fears and doubts. The more I gave those things free rein, the faster they would rotate around my noggin. I couldn't contain the negative ideas and images.

Women have their fair share of worries. We are troubled over money, marriage, children, job stress, guilt, household responsibilities, health problems...the list is endless. We can lay there for hours, "what-iffing" ourselves to death, and what good would it do? By our own steam, what can we change? As God said to Job, "Where were you when I laid the foundations of the earth?"

Our marriages, our children, our lives will be healthy and happy and secure by the grace of God alone and not by any of our will. Give your late-night burdens to the Lord. His capable hands are where your fears should have been all along. Instead of tossing and turning, talk to God. Your Heavenly Father would love to hear about all the things that are propping up your eyelids.

After some prayer time, you will be in a better frame of mind to count your blessings. Think on all the positive people and events that the Lord has put in your path. You are greatly blessed! And soon, you'll be on your way to Sleepy Town.

***

Female In Motion Exercise Update: I did two 30-minute aerobic workouts and two 30-minute yoga and strength training Wii workouts last week. I'm losing about a pound a week since going off hormones. My surgeon advised me to do nothing but walk during my surgical recovery.

***

Notable Quote:

Psalm 4:8 (KJV) I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Your Neighbor

Summer of Simplicity: Lift Someone Up

Bravely Onward