Impossible Silence


Proverbs 17:28 (KJV)
Even a fool, when he holdeth his peace, is counted wise: and he that shutteth his lips is esteemed a man of understanding.


If you know me, you are aware that I like to talk. I come from a long line of talkers. The Hubster jokes, "It's too bad when you and your mom get together, you can't find anything to talk about." We just laugh, and keep talking.

Soon after my breast cancer diagnosis, I was ordered to have an MRI. The night before my appointment, I asked The Hubster what I could expect. He said they put an IV in, you wear earplugs, it's really loud, you have to lie still, and oh, yeah...you have to remain silent for one hour.

Uh, what? Silence for one hour? Not possible! Since it was too late to back out, I started coming up with a strategy. I decided to fill my head with lots of stuff, so I would have plenty to think about while I had the MRI. The next morning, the technician positioned me in the machine, and the test began.

With lots of songs passing through my head, I started out great. I hummed Motown, praise music and hymns. Soon, I convinced myself I could do this. I prayed for friends, family and my church. Then I ran out of stuff to think about. Grasping at the last strands of my plan, "Help me, Lord!", was all I could say.

And He did. The Lord showed me then, what He had brought me through thus far: my first bout with cancer, raising my daughters, time with my sweet husband, happy and sad memories. In this silent, dreamlike state, I realized what He wanted me to know. He was beside me every moment, and He is beside me now. By the way, that hour just flew by!

***

There are two phases of all cancer treatment that doctors lovingly refer to as "slash and burn." This Friday, I will complete the first part. At this point, I don't feel nervous. That's not to say that I have no fears. I am ready to get this party started. So please take a moment on Friday to pray for me, if you will. I am in the palm of my Father's hand.

***

Female in Motion Exercise Update: I did three 30-minute Wii workouts last week and two 30-minute disco aerobic routines. The Wii yoga and strength exercises make me feel strong and the disco makes me happy. It's a good combination.

***

Notable Quote:

"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt."--Mark Twain, classic American author

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Your Neighbor

Summer of Simplicity: Lift Someone Up

Bravely Onward