Warriors in Pink


And so, I join the ranks of the warriors in pink. I was diagnosed with breast cancer last Friday, two days after celebrating my 50th birthday. The test results were supposed to be ready on Wednesday, but they wouldn't tell me over the phone. That's when I knew.

The Hubster and I sat in the exam room, waiting for my family doctor to bring the news. During the 15-minute interval, I wrote down questions to ask about treatment and the Hubster alternated between rubbing my back and holding my hand. He was nervous. I was resolute. Dr. Davis entered. He sat down and said, Well, it's cancer, Carol."

"I already knew," I said. Michael Jackson's "Man in the Mirror" was playing in the hallway outside. It was strange because they usually listen to contemporary Christian radio. As we left, I watched the people around me. It was a normal Friday. I knew what I had to do. I am ready to fight.

"Why me?" didn't even cross my radar. Most people would cry if they heard the "c" word. Not me. I've heard that word before, at age 25, with a newborn and a four-year-old to care for. I trusted God for healing then, and I trust Him now. He's got my back.

My mom and sister are breast cancer survivors. I've already had two biopsies and countless mammograms. This cancer is tiny and new. I will fight until it's gone, and then I'm going to make sure that nobody I know has to go through this. If you've never had a mammogram, I'll go with you. If you must have a biopsy, I'll hold your hand. Blogging, speaking and fundraising will be regular activities for me.

Will you join my Female in Motion encouragement team? I need positive people in my corner. You could call me, send a card, letter or email, help me with business and household chores, and most vital of all, pray for me. I will be assembling a Relay for Life team, too, so get ready. I need you, my faithful readers.

I will wake up every morning, hungry for my future, and consider each day a gift. I will not back away from this fight, knowing that I represent other warriors with no voice. I will thank God every day for the great blessings He has given me and the weighty responsibility. I will be grateful...because I'm not in this battle alone. I am a Female in Motion.

***

There are only two more days until Female in Motion's Fantastic February is over! Don't forget to finish up your daily "I Am" statements and send them to me (cjmartin62@yahoo.com). I will draw a winner next Monday, March 5, 2012. If your name is drawn, you'll win a $50 Target gift card.

***

Female in Motion Exercise Update: I did three 30-minute Wii workouts last week. I need to make sure my body is strong and ready for this health battle, so I will make time to work out regularly.

***

Notable Quote:


Psalm 42:11 (KJV)
Why art thou cast down, O my soul? and why art thou disquieted within me? hope thou in God: for I shall yet praise him, who is the health of my countenance, and my God.

Comments

Jacque said…
I will be in your corner, Carol. Rooting and praying you to victory. Love you friend.
Sam LaFantasie said…
I think it pretty much goes without saying that you've got me! You have been a very good friend to me, it is the least I can do to stand up for you and help you win this fight.
Bonnie Tharp said…
I will always be in your corner. Heart and soul at the ready.

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Your Neighbor

Summer of Simplicity: Lift Someone Up

Bravely Onward